Gracias Lempira, Honduras
Jan. 4-12, 2020: Immerse yourself in the local community and culture while building safe, affordable housing.
Trip cost: US$1,905
Work with the local indigenous Lenca community to renovate homes, improving the health of the families and community.
In Honduras, 68.2% of the population lives in poverty, with 8% of households living in overcrowded conditions, 14% lacking water and sanitation systems and 38% of households in rural areas are without electricity. Habitat for Humanity Honduras is committed to improving communities through the construction and improvement of housing solutions, placing a priority on vulnerable families such as those in rural areas that still lack access to clean water.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site activities typically include digging trenches, laying brick, mixing mortar, brick-making, tying rebar, stucco repair or pouring concrete floors. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit farmers markets, a pottery village, Celaque National Park, Spanish Fort, host springs or tour colonial cities!
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive at Villeda Morales airport where Habitat for Humanity staff will welcome you. You’ll meet the rest of your team, travel to Gracias Lempira and enjoy dinner family style at a local restaurant.
- Sunday: Learn. Habitat staff will introduce you to our work in Honduras and show you the community where you’ll work.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Get your hands dirty on the build site during the day, stopping for lunch and breaks. Enjoy free time and relax with your team in the evenings.
- Saturday: Explore. Absorb local Honduran culture and celebrate the week with a final dinner with the team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Honduras independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Gloria has been a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity for over 20 years, building in various cities across Nebraska as well as around the world. In 1999, she went on a Blitz Build to Beius, Romania, where she and her team helped build 10 houses in nine days alongside 300 volunteers from all over the world.
Gloria says, “It was truly one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.” Since then, she’s been on Global Village trips to Hawaii, Fiji, Paraguay, El Salvador and Nepal as well as a Women’s Build to Tajikistan. Gloria led her first Global Village team in 2016 to Portugal and has since led to Armenia, Trinidad and Vietnam. She was on the board of directors for Habitat for Humanity of Columbus, Nebraska, for six years and continues serving on the family selection/support committee. Gloria is excited to lead another Global Village trip and hopes you’ll join her team to Honduras!