Feb. 15-23, 2020: Immerse yourself in the rich Guatemalan culture while working with the community to improve housing!
Trip cost: US$2,095
Join this trip to Guatemala and help families live healthier lives by helping build innovative smokeless stoves!
Over 90% of rural Guatemalan families use wood as their primary cooking fuel, oftentimes using an open fire inside the home which has led to 52% of Guatemalans suffering from respiratory disease. Through partnerships with the local community and family, Habitat for Humanity Guatemala has built over 21,000 smokeless stoves, reducing families’ firewood consumption by 60%, saving them over $700 a year and allowing them to allocate more time towards generating an income to better support their family. In addition to building smokeless stoves, Habitat also helps provide families with complete home construction and home improvements such as latrines, concrete floors and roofing.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include mixing concrete and mortar, pouring concrete, tying rebar and splitting, moving or laying concrete blocks. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit weaving or coffee cooperatives, take a boat ride on Lake Atitlan, make traditional tortillas or interact with the community through local school visits.
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive in Guatemala City where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport and take you to meet the rest of your team over dinner!
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to the host affiliate where you’ll learn more about Habitat’s innovative work in the region and details about the week’s project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site followed by a farewell ceremony in the afternoon with the community to celebrate the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Travel to Antigua and spend the day exploring the city before enjoying a farewell dinner with your team that evening.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Guatemala independently or depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Stancil’s first work with Habitat was twenty years ago in Guatemala. That initial experience had a tremendously positive impact on his life, and he has continued to work overseas with Habitat ever since. Stancil has served on 23 Habitat projects around the world — in Guatemala, El Salvador, Zambia, Egypt and Jordan. Having completed leadership training in 2013 and recertification in 2018, he has officially led seven Global Village teams.
One of the greatest experiences in the world is working with a family to help them achieve their dream of having an adequate place to live. Habitat allows volunteers the experience of sharing in parents’ hope for their children to live a better life in a safe and secure home. Few joys in life can compare to participating in a Habitat project.