March 7-15, 2020: Immerse yourself in the rich Guatemalan culture while working with the community to improve housing!
Trip cost: US$2,000
Join this trip to Guatemala and help families live healthier lives by helping build safe, affordable homes.
With a housing deficit of 1.8 million homes across Guatemala, millions of Guatemalan families live in inadequate conditions without access to decent housing. Many families cannot meet the requirements for a traditional loan, leaving Habitat for Humanity Guatemala one the most viable routes for obtaining safe, affordable housing. Since its inception in 1979, Habitat Guatemala has provided more than 100,000 housing solutions to families in need. Habitat homes are designed to be resistant to natural shocks and tremors and withstand Guatemala’s brutal rainy season.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include mixing concrete and mortar, digging trenches, pouring concrete, tying rebar, or splitting, moving or laying concrete blocks. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit the ruins of Takalik Abaj, spend time on the beaches of Champerico or interact with the local community.
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive in Guatemala City where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport and take you to meet the rest of your team over dinner!
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to the hosting Habitat where you’ll learn more about Habitat’s innovative work in the region and details about the week’s project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site followed by a farewell ceremony in the afternoon with the community to celebrate the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Travel to Antigua and spend the day exploring the city before enjoying a farewell dinner with your team that evening.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Guatemala independently or depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Jen Brining is delighted to be leading another trip to Guatemala. Having been on 16 Global Village trips, nine of which she led, she has seen so much need in so many countries, but Guatemala is unique and holds a special place in Jen’s heart. The need for housing is abundant, the people are so welcoming and the culture and beauty of the country is like no other.
For Jen, a big part of leading Global Village trips is spreading the word and mission of Habitat, where “every person deserves a decent place to live.” Leading builds gets more people hooked on Habitat, opens the door for more friendships to be made and, of course, helps more families. The cultural exchange and the group dynamics of the team play an important part of every trip. Jen encourages group discussions every day where the team can open up about anything on their mind and leave with new friends, wonderful memories, a few tears, a warm spot in their heart and often a new view of the world. There’s nothing like it.