May 2-10, 2020: Immerse yourself in the rich Guatemalan culture while working with the community to improve housing.
Trip cost: US$2,000
Join this trip to Guatemala and work with the local community to help improve the housing conditions for families lacking adequate shelter.
In Guatemala, 46% of the population has inadequate or no latrine services. Many families cook using an open fire inside, leading to 52% of Guatemalans suffering from respiratory disease. Habitat for Humanity partners with the local community and partner families to improve the living conditions in Guatemala from home improvements such as latrines, concrete floors, roofing and improved stoves to complete home construction. Homes are designed to suit the needs of each individual family, though they typically include a kitchen, living room, bathroom and two bedrooms.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include splitting or moving concrete blocks, mixing concrete and mortar, pouring concrete, tying rebar or laying blocks. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to tour the city, visit Mayan ruins, visit a local youth center, interact with the local community or roast marshmallows over lava during a volcano hike.
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive in Guatemala City where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport and take you to meet the rest of your team over dinner!
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to the host where you’ll learn more about Habitat’s innovative work in the region and details about the week’s project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site followed by a farewell ceremony in the afternoon with the community to celebrate the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Travel back to Antigua and spend the day exploring the city before enjoying a farewell dinner with your team that evening.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Guatemala independently or depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Gerald Schmidt has volunteered with Habitat for Humanity for over 29 years. He leads a team from his church on an annual build in the Midwest, and he’s a construction crew leader for his local Habitat. Gerald also enjoys participating in the annual Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work project.
In 2016, Gerald got involved in Habitat’s Global Village program and has led teams to Fiji, Thailand, El Salvador and Nepal. Gerald is a world traveler, having visited over 40 countries, and he lived in China and the United Kingdom. Some of his hobbies included bicycling, alpine skiing, scuba diving and woodworking.