March 14-22, 2020: Help make an impact while experiencing a new culture.
Trip cost: US$2,210
Join this trip to Kabwe and help address the 1.3 million housing deficit in Zambia.
This housing deficit is projected to reach over 3.3 million by 2030. More than 80% of the population in Zambia is considered low-income, and families in both rural and urban areas are unable to attain safe and decent housing. Zambia’s Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Program targets the most vulnerable in the society: children under the age of 18 living in poor housing conditions or living on less than US$2 a day. To date, Habitat for Humanity Zambia has helped build over 3,700 homes for low-income and vulnerable groups. To alleviate the housing deficit, 222,000 new housing units are required annually between 2016 and 2030. Join this trip and help Zambia address the country's need for housing!
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a local hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Typical tasks at the work site include mixing and moving mortar, breaking and carrying blocks, building walls with cement block, placing window frames and more. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with the community through traditional dances and ceremonies or visiting craft markets.
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Lusaka, Zambia, where you’ll be greeted by Habitat staff and get to know your team over dinner before traveling to your overnight accommodations in Lusaka.
- Sunday: Learn. Explore the city before traveling to Kabwe where you’ll learn more about Habitat’s work in the region with vulnerable populations and meet the community.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site before celebrating the week’s accomplishments with the community in the afternoon and sharing a farewell dinner with the Habitat Zambia staff.
- Saturday: Explore. Travel back to Lusaka where you’ll visit local sites and enjoy a final dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Zambia independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Angela is a self-described seeker of peace and justice. She joined Habitat for Humanity in 2005 and currently works as a director in the communications division. She’s been organizing and leading projects for more than 30 years. Her dream of international missions was fulfilled in 2007 with a trip to Ghana, and since then she has led teams to Africa, the Caribbean and Central America.
As a team leader, Angela nurtures team cohesiveness, ensures a safe environment and makes sure every team member has fun while working. She believes that there are few things more critical to a successful team than frequent and open communication. To Angela, Global Village is about building relationships as much as it is about building houses.