June 27-July 5, 2020: Explore, build and learn on this Global Village trip to Malawi!
Trip cost: US$2,375
Come together with a team of volunteers and work with the community to build homes that improve the lives of orphaned and vulnerable children.
About 4 out of 5 families in Malawi live in substandard conditions with little means to achieve an affordable, decent house. A typical home is made of mud bricks with a dirt floor and grass-thatched roof, which requires frequent repairs. Leaky roofs and mud floors create damp conditions and attract insects, putting families at high risk of contracting disease. With 1.5 million orphans and vulnerable children in Malawi, the housing demand far exceeds the supply. Habitat for Humanity Malawi’s Orphans and Vulnerable Children Project builds fully subsidized homes for families in need of safe, affordable housing.
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a local hotel where breakfast and dinner are provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Typical tasks on the work site include mixing mortar, laying bricks, moving materials, cleaning the site and plastering walls. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to take part in Salima’s famous Gule Wa Mkulu dances, experience rich cultural heritage, enjoy the local food or visit Lake Malawi.
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Lilongwe, Malawi, where you'll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff.
- Sunday: Learn. Habitat staff will share about our innovative work in the region and brief the team on your project. You'll travel with your team to Salima, where you'll build throughout the week.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Return to Lilongwe and learn more about the culture, interact with the local community and enjoy cultural activities while exploring the city. Share a farewell dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Malawi independently or depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
When asked why she chooses to lead Global Village trips, Kaitlyn had this to share, “Anyone who knows me can see my passion for Habitat is contagious, and I'm excited to share this with as many people as I can. Through Global Village, I can explore new cultures and make friendships with people around the world. Ever since college I have been hooked on Habitat and can't wait to see where it leads me next.”