Sept. 15-22, 2019: Explore, learn and build on this Global Village trip to Paraguay!
Trip cost: US$1,797
Join this trip to Paraguay and work with the local community to build strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter.
Paraguay is facing a housing deficit greater than a million homes, and this deficit is expected to continue to grow. Currently, 43 out of 100 families are living in inadequate and overcrowded conditions, and approximately half of all the houses in Paraguay can be classified as inadequate. Habitat for Humanity Paraguay counteracts these challenges by partnering will future homeowners to provide housing solutions that best fit their individual needs.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include carrying and mixing cement, digging septic systems and trenches, filling joints of the walls or painting. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to explore the city, local shops and the surrounding area, possibly including a trip to the Golden Trail. You’ll also have the opportunity to interact with the local community through shared meals and local school or orphanage visits!
- Saturday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head for Paraguay!
- Sunday: Welcome. Join us in Paraguay where you’ll be greeted at Silvio Pettirossi International Airport by Habitat staff. Travel with your team to Asuncion where you’ll enjoy your first meal together and learn about Habitat’s innovative work in the region.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Saturday: Explore. The team will have a free day to explore local markets, enjoy a mate and sample local cuisine.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Paraguay independently or head on home.
Leading this team
Habitat's Global Village program and Paraguay both have special spots in Laura Maltby's heart. This will be her 10th trip to Paraguay and her eighth trip with Habitat. She has also been on Global Village builds in Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic. Laura loves to introduce team members to this lovely country and its people. Her first Global Village build in Paraguay was in 2013, and she quickly became hooked. She led her first team to Paraguay for a Women's Build in May 2018 and will be leading a group of her high school classmates to Honduras in March 2019. As a Latin American history major in college, Laura speaks near fluent Spanish and has found a variety of ways to maintain her connection with this part of the world, both personally and professionally. She is a retired psychologist/educator who now considers herself a "professional volunteer.”