Nov.16-24, 2019: Explore, learn and build on this Global Village trip to Paraguay.
Trip cost: US$1,797
Join this trip to Paraguay and work with the local community to build strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter!
Paraguay is facing a housing deficit greater than a million homes, and this deficit is expected to continue to grow. Currently, 43 out of 100 families are living in inadequate and overcrowded conditions, and approximately half of all the houses in Paraguay can be classified as inadequate. Habitat for Humanity Paraguay counteracts these challenges by partnering will future homeowners to provide housing solutions that best fit their individual needs.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include carrying and mixing cement, digging septic systems and trenches, filling joints of the walls or painting. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to explore the city, local shops and the surrounding area, possibly including a trip to the Golden Trail. You’ll also have the opportunity to interact with the local community through shared meals and local school or orphanage visits.
- Saturday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head for Paraguay!
- Sunday: Welcome. Join us in Paraguay where you’ll be greeted at Silvio Pettirossi International Airport by Habitat staff. Travel with your team to Asuncion where you’ll enjoy your first meal together and learn about Habitat’s innovative work in the region.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Saturday: Explore. The team will have a free day to explore local markets, enjoy a mate and sample local cuisine.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Paraguay independently or head on home.
Leading this team
Kate Collinson is a passionate believer in Habitat’s mission and finds tremendous satisfaction in facilitating team builds around the world. This quote from Margaret Mead captures her sentiments on Global Village trips: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” Kate understands that Global Village builds offer just this kind of opportunity.
Believing that knowledge and preparation are critical, Kate provides lots of information in the months leading up to the build and questions are strongly encouraged. The “magic” comes into play as the group works together towards its goal: making safe, affordable housing available to a partner family abroad. Kate has led 13 builds to locations in Cambodia, Zambia, Romania, Poland, Guatemala and Portugal, and every one has been special. As team leader, her priority is ensuring a positive and memorable cross-cultural experience for each team member -- while accomplishing the team’s building goals, of course! Please consider joining her to make a family’s dream come true!