Nov. 8-17, 2019: Build, explore and learn about new cultures and how housing needs vary around the globe.
Trip cost: US$2,269
Join this Global Village trip to Zambia and work with the local community to build safe, affordable housing.
More than 80 percent of the population in Zambia is considered low-income, and families in both rural and urban areas are unable to attain safe and decent housing. Zambia’s Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Program focuses on the most vulnerable in the society, children under the age of 18 living in poor housing conditions or living on less than $2 a day. To date, Habitat for Humanity Zambia has helped build over 3,700 homes for low-income and vulnerable groups. Join this trip and you’ll help Zambia reach its 222,000 new housing units required annually between 2016 and 2030 to alleviate the housing deficit!
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a local hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Typical tasks at the work site include mixing and moving mortar, breaking and carrying blocks, building walls with cement block, placing window frames and more. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with the community through traditional dances, ceremonies, storytelling or visiting craft markets.
- Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for Zambia!
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Lusaka, Zambia, where you’ll be greeted at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport by Habitat staff and get to know your team over dinner. Then, you'll travel to your overnight accommodations in Lusaka.
- Sunday: Learn. Explore the city, meet the community and learn more about Habitat’s work in the region with vulnerable populations.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site before celebrating the week’s accomplishments with the community in the afternoon and sharing a farewell dinner with the Habitat Zambia staff.
- Saturday: Explore. Visit local sites and enjoy a final dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Zambia independently or head home.
Leading this team
Stan has been fortunate to participate in 22 Global Village trips -- 16 of those as a leader -- to various countries all around the world, including Nepal, India, Africa, South and Central America, as well as locations here in the U.S. Stan is driven by a fascination for experiencing new cultures as well as a desire to help build homes. He takes a lot of care when building a team so that people with diverse backgrounds and varying ages can create lasting friendships. He makes sure that they have not only a memorable build experience, but they are also immersed in the local culture and people. Stan's builds require the team members to be actively involved in developing the environment that will be created.
Stan sets the stage for this by assigning tasks for them on the first day at their orientation meeting. These tasks include "counters" to ensure our team is not missing anyone, journal-keepers and writers, participants in daily reflections, "foodies" to choose and organize our dining experience and team members to represent our team at closing dedication ceremony. Stan has set up a website which has information on each of his past and current builds as well as bios and information on himself and everyone who joins the team. This is updated periodically to keep upcoming trip information current and easily accessible. Stan believes his style brings passion, common sense and humor to all his builds, which has created many lasting memories for himself and his team members.