August 9-18, 2019: Join this trip and immerse yourself in a new culture!
Trip cost: US$2,280
Join this trip to Kabwe, Zambia, and help fight the 1.3 million housing deficit in this country, which is projected to reach over 3.3 million by 2030.
More than 80 percent of the population in Zambia is considered low-income, and families in both rural and urban areas are unable to attain safe and decent housing. Zambia’s Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Program focuses on helping the most vulnerable in the society: children under the age of 18 living in poor housing conditions or living on less than $2 a day. To date, Habitat for Humanity Zambia has helped build over 3,700 homes for low-income and vulnerable groups. Zambia needs 222,000 new housing units annually between 2016 and 2030 to alleviate the housing deficit. Join this trip and your build will contribute to making these homes a reality!
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a local hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Typical tasks at the work site include mixing and moving mortar, breaking and carrying blocks, building walls with cement block, placing window frames and more. Off the build site you’ll have the opportunity to interact with the community through traditional dances and ceremonies or visiting craft markets.
- Friday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for Zambia!
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Lusaka, Zambia, where you’ll be greeted by Habitat staff and get to know your team over dinner before traveling to your overnight accommodations in Lusaka.
- Sunday: Learn. Explore the city before traveling to Kabwe where you’ll learn more about Habitat’s work in the region with vulnerable populations and meet the community.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site before celebrating the week’s accomplishments with the community in the afternoon and sharing a farewell dinner with the Habitat Zambia staff.
- Saturday: Explore. Travel back to Lusaka where you’ll visit local sites and enjoy a final dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Zambia independently or head home.
Leading this team
Liza started working with Habitat for Humanity back in 2007. Since then, she has traveled with Habitat to the devastation of Katrina, as well as to Costa Rica and El Salvador, among other places. Liza has done several local Habitat builds within the U.S. and is excited to lead her eighth Global Village trip to Zambia. Habitat’s mission is one that has stuck with her, and she hopes that people are inspired, not just by what they see, but by the people they meet.