Riacho das Almas, Brazil
Oct. 5-13, 2019: Travel, build and learn on this Global Village trip to Brazil!
Trip cost: US$2,322
In Brazil, more than 5.5 million people live without access to water, forcing women and children to walk up to two hours both ways to retrieve water.
Every year, thousands of families suffer from the drought season and the reduction of job opportunities that comes with it. Families often lack the resources necessary to safely collect water and are therefore forced to walk hours to obtain water, losing valuable time they could’ve spent earning an income. Habitat for Humanity Brazil’s Water for Lives project focuses on helping families in various municipalities have access to safe, usable water through roof repairs/enlargements and cistern construction.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be served. Lunches will be provided on the build site. Work site tasks typically include preparing cement, making cement plates to use as walls and lids for the cistern, helping assemble the cistern and exterior painting. Off the work site, you’ll have the opportunity to explore local hikes and waterfalls, visit Old Recife or Olinda City or interact with the local community by visiting a local ranch and enjoying traditional Brazilian meals together.
- Saturday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and head for Brazil!
- Sunday: Welcome. Join us in Brazil where you’ll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff, and you’ll meet the rest of your team over dinner. Habitat will share about their innovative work and brief the team on the project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Learn more about the culture, interact with the local community, enjoy cultural activities and explore the city.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Depart for home or continue your journey in Brazil independently.
Leading this team
Josh was inspired to be a Global Village team leader by his first build to Malaysia in 2007. Since then, not only does he feel like he's made a difference for those in need, but he also feels that it truly does change each person that participates for the better. Eleven years, seven participant builds and now his fifth team-leading trip later, he's still going strong. With enthusiasm, energy and a well-organized trip, he strives to provide the best experience for his team, and the best housing for the people that he can help -- one brick at a time.