Dong Thap Vietnam
Oct. 18-Nov. 2, 2019: Build, learn and explore on this Global Village trip!
Trip cost: US$1,928
Join this trip to Vietnam and help provide access to safe shelter, water and sanitation facilities for low-income families!
Due to natural disasters and climate change, many homes are damaged and require frequent repairs. But with a quarter of the population poor or nearly poor, many cannot afford to repair their house. Additionally, poor groundwater quality makes access to clean water and sanitation another challenge. Habitat for Humanity Vietnam provides safe, affordable housing for low-income families by partnering with the community, focusing on disaster preparedness and WASH programs (safe water, sanitation and hygiene practices).
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include mixing and carrying mortar, laying bricks, carrying and pouring concrete or transferring materials. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit local markets, tour the city, explore local national parks, take a cooking class, visit Cu Chi tunnel and interact with the local community.
- Friday-Saturday: Travel. Grab your packed bags and depart for Vietnam!
- Sunday: Welcome. Join us in Vietnam! Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team.
- Monday: Learn. Travel with your team to Dong Thap and learn about Habitat’s work in that community.
- Tuesday-Friday: Build. Spend the day on the build site breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Saturday-Sunday: Explore. Go sightseeing around the city, interact with the local community and sample local cuisine.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Continue your work on the build site breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning building followed by a farewell ceremony with the community celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Vietnam independently or head home.
Leading this team
This will be Paul’s fifth trip with Habitat for Humanity to Vietnam and his third as a team leader. Working with a family to improve their living conditions provides the perfect way for Paul to show his gratitude for the many blessings in his life and gives him inspiration and hope for the future. Plus, it feels really good! Paul is excited to lead another Global Village trip and hopes you’ll join him on his next adventure!