La Paz, El Salvador
Feb. 8-16, 2020: Help build safe, affordable housing while exploring a new country and culture!
Trip cost: US$1,785
Join this trip to El Salvador and help make safe, affordable housing accessible to low-income families!
Due to failed land reform and natural disasters, many families lack decent floors, roofs, water, electricity or bathrooms. With 31.9% of the population living in relative or extreme poverty, many families do not have access to the financing needed to improve their homes. Habitat for Humanity El Salvador partners with families to overcome poverty by building homes using seismic-resistant concrete blocks structurally reinforced with steel to protect against earthquakes.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include moving and compacting dirt, making concrete and mortar mix, carrying roof sheets, laying bricks, painting, moving materials or cleaning up the construction site. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit the El Boqueron National Park, the museum of the Martyrs of University of Central America, the Metropolitan Cathedral of San Salvador, the Monument of Memory and Truth or relax at local beaches.
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive in San Salvador where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport and transport you to your accommodations in La Paz.
- Sunday: Learn. Explore the city before learning about Habitat’s work in the region and details about the week’s project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Learn more about the culture, interact with the local community, enjoy cultural activities and explore the city.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Depart for home or continue your journey in El Salvador independently.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Tom’s primary goal as a Global Village leader is to help each team member have a positive experience. This involves truly listening to what people say they want and need, both before and during the trip. One thing he emphasizes as a team leader is having a daily team meeting where team members have the opportunity to share their experiences and learn from each others' experiences. He has led Global Village trips to Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Argentina and Portugal.
Tom believes that Habitat’s Global Village trips are about people. He says, "I believe the greatest impact of Global Village projects happens through our relationship with host families, local Habitat staff and local builders who are leading us on the build site. We have the opportunity to encourage them as they improve their community."