Santa Ana, El Salvador
April 18-26, 2020: Help build safe, affordable housing while exploring a new country and culture!
Trip cost: US$1,585
Join this trip to El Salvador and help make safe, affordable housing accessible to low-income families!
Due to failed land reform and natural disasters, many families lack decent floors, roofs, water, electricity or bathrooms. With 31.9% of the population living in relative or extreme poverty, many families do not have access to the financing needed to improve their homes. Habitat for Humanity El Salvador partners with families to overcome poverty by building homes using seismic resistant concrete blocks structurally reinforced with steel to protect against earthquakes.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include moving and compacting dirt, making concrete and mortar mix, carrying roof sheets, laying bricks, painting, moving materials or cleaning up the construction site. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to tour the Santa Ana Cathedral or National Theater of Santa Ana, visit a volcano, lounge on the beach or interact with the local community.
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive in San Salvador where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport and transport you to your accommodations for the night.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to Santa Ana and explore the city before learning about Habitat’s work in the region and details about the week’s project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Learn more about the culture, interact with the local community, enjoy cultural activities and explore the city.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Depart for home or continue your journey in El Salvador independently.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Gary has a passion for helping families in need obtain decent, safe and affordable housing worldwide. He has led 17 teams with Habitat and wishes to continue for as long as possible. With 41 years of experience as a general contractor, Gary has excellent leadership and people skills that he brings to the build site. Gary looks forward to seeing what personal skills each of his team members brings to the team.