Feb. 9-16, 2020: Help build a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Trip cost: US$1,860
Work with Habitat for Humanity Portugal to help renovate substandard houses for rural, low-income families in Braga!
With 500,886 overcrowded households and 326,000 houses lacking electricity, basic sanitation or running water, Portugal faces a growing poverty rate of 19%. Lack of decent and affordable housing puts the security and health of families in danger. Habitat for Humanity Portugal focuses on house renovations in rural areas to help keep the costs low for partner families. Join this trip and you’ll work alongside Habitat for Humanity Portugal and local families to help renovate existing homes, providing safer and healthier lifestyles for low-income families!
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a guest house with a pool and garden where breakfast and dinner will be served. Lunch will be at a restaurant near the build site. Work site tasks depend on the stage of construction but typically include digging and filling the foundation, mixing and pouring concrete, laying bricks, tiling, grouting or plastering. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to explore Baroque monuments, cathedrals or other historical areas in the city that preserve Portugal’s rich heritage.
- Sunday: Welcome. Join us in Porto, Portugal, where you’ll meet up with your team and travel together to Braga. You’ll meet Habitat’s staff and learn more about our work in the area. Later you’ll enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments!
- Saturday-Sunday: Explore. Learn more about the culture, interact with the local community, enjoy cultural activities and explore the city. On Sunday, you’ll travel back to Porto and share a final meal with your team.
- Monday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Portugal independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
When Perry was first asked to do a Global Village trip, he was unsure of what to expect. He wondered if he would he know anyone, what the food would be like and if he would he fit in with the team. Perry came to realize that this situation was put in front of him for a reason. Since then, he’s led over 22 Global Village teams, and some of his best friends have come from these trips as they worked together away from their homes. Once you step back and look at what has been accomplished, you realize that this work is more than you can imagine. To Perry, this is what Habitat's work is all about -- you work hard, share pain, laughter and sorrows, make new friends and create life-changing memories while working alongside families.