March 7-16, 2020: Help build a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Trip cost: US$1,990
Join this trip and work with local Romania families to build affordable housing solutions, allowing them to live safer, healthier lives!
In Romania, 58% of the population lives in overcrowded conditions, leading to family conflicts resulting in emotional imbalances, especially for children. Additionally, 42.5% lack a bath and toilet with running water. To solve these substandard living conditions, Habitat for Humanity Romania partners with future homeowners to build affordable apartments with a kitchen, living room, bathroom and two bedrooms.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include mixing and pouring concrete, bending rebar, building frame and roof trusses, insulation, sanding and painting. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit the National Village Museum, tour historic castles, explore the Targu Ocna salt mines or interact with the local community through traditional dances and meals!
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Bucharest, Romania, where you’ll meet your team and spend the first night in Bucharest.
- Sunday: Learn. Spend the morning exploring Bucharest before traveling together to Moinesti. Learn more about our work in the area and enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Spend the week working on the construction site, stopping for breaks and lunch each day. You’ll have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Saturday: Celebrate. Work on the build site until noon then enjoy a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Sunday: Explore. Spend the day exploring the area and share a final meal with your team before traveling back to Bucharest.
- Monday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Romania independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Mandy has previously led Global Village trips to Poland, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Hawaii, Nepal, Jordan and Trinidad and Tobago. She has a passion for connecting with other cultures and giving back to the global community and loves utilizing her role as a Global Village team leader to help others do the same. Mandy also works in housing services for Habitat for Humanity of Washington, D.C., helping families find decent, affordable housing in her local community. She greatly looks forward to meeting you and building with you!