Riacho das Almas, Brazil
March 1-8, 2020: Travel, build and learn on this Global Village trip to Brazil!
Trip cost: US$2,260
More than 5.5 million people live without access to water, forcing women and children to walk up to two hours both ways to retrieve water.
Every year, thousands of families suffer from the drought season and the resulting decrease in job opportunities. Because families often lack the resources to safely collect water, many are forced to walk hours to obtain this necessity, costing valuable time that could be spent fulfilling other needs or earning an income. Habitat for Humanity Brazil’s Water for Lives project focuses on helping families in various municipalities have access to safe, usable water through roof repairs/enlargements and cistern construction.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be served. Lunches will be provided on the build site. Work site tasks typically include preparing cement, exterior painting, helping assemble the cistern or making cement plates to use as walls and lids for the cistern. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit Old Recife or Olinda City, explore local hiking areas and waterfalls or connect with the community by visiting a local ranch and sharing traditional Brazilian meals.
- Sunday: Welcome. Join us in Brazil where you’ll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff. Meet the rest of your team over dinner where Habitat will share about their innovative work and brief the team on the project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Learn more about the culture, interact with the local community, enjoy cultural activities and explore the city.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Depart for home or continue your journey in Brazil independently.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Each opportunity with Global Village has been unique and rewarding for Margaret, allowing her to meet and work alongside amazing individuals and build memories that will last a lifetime. Her passion and focus is to serve vulnerable populations and empower others by offering her time and energy to building safe, decent housing. As a leader, Margaret is thoughtful, flexible and will work to make sure your experience exceeds your expectations.