Siem Reap, Cambodia
Jan. 25-Feb. 2, 2020: Help build safe, affordable housing while discovering a new culture!
Trip cost: US$1,815
Join this trip to Cambodia and work alongside the locals to build affordable housing while learning about the local community!
It’s estimated that about two million homes are in need of critical improvements throughout Cambodia. With research projecting an additional 1.1 million homes will need to be built by 2030, the demand for safe, affordable housing in Cambodia is increasing. Habitat for Humanity Cambodia partners with future homeowners to improve their quality of life and health by providing them with better housing, water and sanitation options.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include mixing mortar, carrying materials or laying foundations, bricks and flooring. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit historical temples, explore local villages and interact with the community.
- Saturday: Welcome. Land in Siem Reap where Habitat staff will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team. You’ll enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow volunteers.
- Sunday: Learn. You'll learn more about Habitat's innovative work in the region and details about the week's project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week's accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Continue to deepen your knowledge of the history and culture of Cambodia with visits to local sights. End the day with a farewell dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Your journey in Cambodia may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Rebecca Bitner's personal history with Habitat for Humanity started in 2002 when she joined her first Women Build in a nearby neighborhood. She was hooked from the very first day. That one leap of faith outside of her comfort zone led to her chairing local committees, fundraising, partaking in an international build as a participant and, ultimately, leading her first team in 2006.
"There is truly nothing more rewarding then building beside a homeowner, seeing their face light up and how thankful that are for your time to help them have a home,” Rebecca says. “As your leader, I am committed to making your Global Village experience positive from the very beginning. I have found that team communications and interaction prior to the actual trip creates a cohesiveness in advance of our actual first meeting in person. I also believe organized communication is key, leading up to and including the trip. I welcome your questions and concerns and willingly share insight.”