Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Feb. 22-March 1, 2020: Immerse yourself in Cambodia’s rich culture while building alongside the local community.
Trip cost: US$1,815
Join this trip to Cambodia and help provide safe housing for vulnerable populations while learning about a new culture!
Access to land ownership and secure tenure remains difficult in Cambodia, especially for vulnerable and marginalized communities. It’s estimated that about two million homes are in need of critical improvement. With research projecting an additional 1.1 million homes will need to be built by 2030, the demand for safe, affordable housing in Cambodia is increasing. Habitat for Humanity Cambodia partners with homeowners to improve their quality of life and health by providing them with better housing, water and sanitation options.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include carrying materials, making compressed earth blocks, or laying foundations, flooring and compressed earth blocks. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit the Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda or Killing Fields as well as tour museums or visit local markets.
- Saturday: Welcome. Land in Phnom Penh where Habitat staff will greet you and take you to meet your team. You’ll enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow volunteers.
- Sunday: Learn. You'll learn more about Habitat's innovative work in the region and details about the week's project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoy a farewell ceremony celebrating the week's accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Continue to deepen your knowledge of the history and culture of Cambodia with visits to local sights. End the day with a farewell dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Cambodia independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Domi participated in her first Global Village trip to Hungary in 2011, and she’s been hooked on Habitat’s mission and the experience ever since. There is nothing quite like working with others – teammates, local and international Habitat staff and partner families – to build something concrete and lasting that changes the lives of the homeowners and builders alike. After participating in additional builds to Jordan, Portugal and Thailand, Domi became a team leader and has led teams to Nicaragua, Paraguay and Mexico. Learning from other talented leaders, Domi emphasizes frequent communication both before and during the build, respect for the local culture and fostering camaraderie and flexibility. Domi especially enjoys sharing the magic of the Global Village experience with first-timers. She can’t wait to talk to you about joining this team!