July 5-13, 2020: Help build a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Critical home improvement
Trip cost: US$1,860
Work with Habitat for Humanity Portugal to help renovate substandard houses for rural, low-income families in Braga.
With 500,886 overcrowded households and 326,000 houses lacking electricity, basic sanitation or running water, Portugal faces a growing poverty rate of 19%. Lack of decent and affordable housing puts the security and health of families at risk. With Habitat for Humanity Portugal, you’ll work alongside local families to renovate existing homes, focusing on rural areas to help keep costs low for families, where they can build safer and healthier lives for themselves.
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a guest house with a pool and garden where breakfast and dinner will be served. Lunch will be at a restaurant near the build site. Work site tasks depend on the stage of construction but typically include digging and filling the foundation, mixing and pouring concrete, laying bricks, tiling, grouting or plastering. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to explore Baroque monuments, cathedrals or other historical areas in the city that preserve Portugal’s rich heritage.
- Sunday: Welcome. Join us in Porto, Portugal, where you’ll meet up with your team and travel together to Braga. You’ll meet Habitat’s staff and learn more about our work in the area. Later you’ll enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments!
- Saturday-Sunday: Explore. Learn more about the culture, interact with the local community, enjoy cultural activities and explore the city! On Sunday, you’ll travel back to Porto and share a final meal with your team.
- Monday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Portugal independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Staci’s first Global Village trip was to Hungary in September of 2001 – exactly during the tragedy of the 9/11 attacks. The experience of being embraced during those difficult days by her new friends in this Habitat community made her a Habitat champion for life. Eighteen years later, she still maintains close friendships with members of that first Habitat community and visits regularly. Since then, Staci has led six Global Village trips. She loves the opportunity to meet new people and dig in deep with a new culture, all while getting her hands dirty building a house.
Staci’s leadership style is relaxed and communicative. Understanding that preparation is a critical component of making any trip a success, Staci provides regular updates with detailed information about all aspects of the trip. Her priority is ensuring the team has a memorable and transformative cross-cultural experience while making the dream of home ownership a reality for a family. She’s inspired by these words from Nelson Mandela, “We can change the world and make it a better place. It is in your hands to make a difference.” She hopes you’ll consider joining her and change the lives of a family.