Sept. 5-13, 2020: Immerse yourself in the indigenous culture while building shelter with the local community!
Trip cost: US$1,945
Join this trip to Chiapas, Mexico and experience a new culture while helping build safe, affordable housing!
In Mexico, more than 50 percent of the population lives in poverty conditions and with 59 percent earning less than three minimum wages per day, many lack the means to buy or build adequate housing. Habitat for Humanity Mexico partners with future homeowners to build homes designed for each family’s needs with separate living spaces, kitchen and bathroom.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include moving and compacting dirt, mixing concrete and mortar, painting walls, laying brick or cleaning up the construction sites. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with the local community, sharing coffee and Mexican bread while listening to local legends and stories!
- Saturday: Welcome. Fly into Tuxtla Gutierrez International Airport where you’ll be greeted by Habitat for Humanity staff and get to know your team over dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site followed by a farewell ceremony with the community to celebrate the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Enjoy a free day exploring the city and immersing yourself in the culture. At the final team dinner, reflect on your experience and the week’s significance.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Mexico independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Paul began volunteering with Habitat for Humanity in 2014 and has now participated in nine Global Village trips, each of which has been a very rewarding and enriching experience. As team leader, Paul works with Habitat staff and the local community to ensure that everyone has a meaningful, inspiring and enjoyable trip and that team members are well informed both before and during the trip. One of the greatest things for Paul is witnessing the chemistry form between a diverse group of volunteers as they work to help a family improve their living conditions.
If you are anything like Paul, by the end of the trip you’ll forge lifelong memories and friendships and leave with a sense of accomplishment having witnessed a country and culture through totally different eyes. No previous experience is necessary. To be a great team member all you need is a desire to help others, enthusiasm, curiosity, flexibility, a willingness to immerse yourself in the local environment, a respect for other cultures and - finally - a good sense of humour.