Riacho das Almas, Brazil
July 26-Aug. 2, 2020: Travel, build and learn on this Global Village trip to Brazil!
Trip cost: US$2,260
More than 5.5 million people in Brazil live without access to water, forcing women and children to walk up to two hours both ways to retrieve water.
Every year, thousands of families suffer from the drought season and the resulting decrease in job opportunities. Because families often lack the resources to safely collect water, many are forced to walk hours to obtain this necessity, costing valuable time that could be spent fulfilling other needs or earning an income. Habitat for Humanity Brazil’s Water for Lives project focuses on helping families in various municipalities have access to safe, usable water through roof repairs/enlargements and cistern construction.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be served. Lunches will be provided on the build site. Work site tasks typically include preparing cement, exterior painting, helping assemble the cistern or making cement plates to use as walls and lids for the cistern. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit Old Recife or Olinda City, explore local hiking areas and waterfalls or connect with the community by visiting a local ranch and sharing traditional Brazilian meals.
- Sunday: Welcome. Join us in Brazil where you’ll be greeted at the airport by Habitat staff. Meet the rest of your team over dinner where Habitat will share about their innovative work and brief the team on the project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Learn more about the culture, interact with the local community, enjoy cultural activities and explore the city.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Depart for home or continue your journey in Brazil independently.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Rebecca has had the privilege to lead Habitat volunteer trips to Romania, Nepal, Mozambique and Trinidad and Tobago. Experience has shown that each trip is a distinct experience and offers unique opportunities for those involved. Rebecca aims to provide a meaningful experience for team members as they connect with the culture and community where they are working. Her expectation is that each team member is flexible, comes with an open mind, is ready to immerse themself in the experience and is prepared to learn from and share with each other and the community.