Long An, Vietnam
July 25-Aug. 2, 2020: Explore a new country and culture while building disaster resilient housing.
Help disaster-affected areas build back stronger.
Trip cost: US$1,740
Join this trip to Vietnam and help low-income families gain access to safe, decent shelter and adequate facilities for water and sanitation.
Many homes in Long An require frequent repairs due to damage from natural disasters and the effects of climate change. However, with a quarter of the population low-income, many families cannot afford to repair their house. Additionally, poor groundwater quality makes access to clean water and sanitation a challenge. Habitat for Humanity Vietnam works alongside families and the community to build safe, affordable housing, focusing on disaster preparedness and WASH programs (safe water, sanitation and hygiene practices).
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include mixing and carrying mortar, laying bricks, carrying and pouring concrete or transferring materials. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to visit local markets, tour the city, explore local national parks, take a cooking class, visit Cu Chi tunnel or interact with the local community.
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Vietnam where Habitat staff will greet you at Ton Son Nhat Airport and meet your team.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel with your team to Long An and learn about Habitat’s work in the area.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have time for reflection meetings, excursions and rest in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning building followed by a farewell ceremony with the community celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Saturday: Explore. Go sightseeing around the city, interact with the local community and sample local cuisine.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Vietnam independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Sokari Brown’s first Habitat build to Ghana in 2007 was a truly life-changing experience. Through Habitat for Humanity, she has been able to combine travel and service to others -- two of the things she is most passionate about. It has been very rewarding to make a difference across the globe! Sokari has since led trips to Brazil, China, Thailand, South Africa and more. She is excited to be leading this Global Village trip and hopes that you decide to join the team. Prepare for an experience you will always remember!