Tela Bay, Honduras
Aug. 1-9, 2020: Immerse yourself in the local community and culture while building safe, affordable housing.
Trip cost: US$2,115
Join this trip and help the 44.6% of low-income Hondurans build a better future through safe, affordable housing.
In Honduras, 68.2% of the population lives in poverty, with 8% of households living in overcrowded conditions and 14% lacking water and sanitation systems. In rural areas, 38% of households are without electricity. Habitat for Humanity Honduras is committed to improving communities through the construction and improvement of housing solutions, placing a priority on vulnerable families such as those in rural areas that still lack access to clean water.
You’ll be staying in double-occupancy rooms at a nearby hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Work site tasks typically include plastering, painting, tiling, grouting, laying bricks, building walls or mixing concrete with cement, sand and water. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to explore tropical forests, coral reefs or beaches at the Jeannette Kawas or Punta Izopo national parks, visit a botanical garden or interact with the local community.
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive at Villeda Morales airport, where Habitat for Humanity staff will welcome you. You’ll meet the rest of your team, travel to Tela Bay and enjoy dinner family-style at a local restaurant.
- Sunday: Learn. Habitat staff will introduce you to our work in Honduras and show you the community where you’ll work.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Get your hands dirty on the build site during the day, stopping for lunch and breaks. Enjoy free time and relax with your team in the evenings.
- Saturday: Explore. Absorb local Honduran culture and celebrate the week with a final dinner with the team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Honduras independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
For nine years, Kristen has been leading teams through parts of Central and South American as well as Europe. Kristen works diligently to ensure volunteers have the most impactful journey possible. Kristen is most passionate about immersing the team into the culture during the build, and she loves to do a little concrete dancing!