July 4-10, 2020: Explore a new country and culture while building alongside local families.
Trip cost: US$1,690
Join this trip to Jordan and learn about a new, exciting culture while helping provide safe, affordable to families in need.
The combination of drought, refugee migration and an age bubble has increased the need for affordable housing solutions in Jordan. The current demand of 30,000 new homes annually is likely to continue to increase in the next 10-15 years. Habitat for Humanity Jordan aims to help low-income families and address the inadequate, overcrowded housing conditions by partnering with the community to provide safe, affordable homes based on each family’s individual needs, including a separate living space, kitchen and bathroom.
You’ll be staying in guest housing with separate sleeping quarters based on gender. Breakfast will be provided at the guest house with lunches served on the build site and dinners hosted at a partner family’s home each night. Work site tasks typically include mixing cement, lifting and carrying cement blocks, building exterior and interior walls, cutting and bending rebar or preparing and pouring the flat roof. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity visit archeological sites, hike around the village or interact with the local community through shared meals and barbecues.
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Amman, Jordan, where Habitat for Humanity will greet you at the airport and introduce you to your team at dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to the affiliate community, where Habitat staff will share about our impact in Jordan and brief the team on your project. Then enjoy your first afternoon on the build site.
- Monday-Wednesday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water throughout the day. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Thursday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site before enjoying a farewell ceremony celebrating the week’s accomplishments.
- Friday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Jordan independently or depart for home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Stan has participated in 24 Global Village trips, 18 as a leader, to various countries around the world, including Nepal, India and South and Central America. Stan is driven by a fascination for experiencing new cultures and a desire to help build homes. He works hard to ensure everyone has a memorable build experience and are immersed in the local culture and people.
Stan’s builds require the team members to be actively involved in developing the environment that will be created. He sets the stage for this by assigning tasks for them on the first day -- “counters” ensure the team is not missing anyone and “foodies” choose and organize the dining experience. He keeps his team updated on trip information and makes it easily accessible for them. Stan believes he brings passion, common sense and humor to all his builds, which has created many lasting memories for himself and his teams.