Aug. 8-16, 2020: Help make an impact while experiencing a new culture!
Trip cost: US$2,210
Join this trip to Kabwe and help fight the growing housing deficit in Zambia!
Zambia currently faces a 1.3 million housing deficit projected to reach over 3.3 million by 2030. More than 80% of the population in Zambia is considered low-income, and families in both rural and urban areas are unable to attain safe and decent housing. Zambia’s Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Program targets the most vulnerable in the society: children under the age of 18 living in poor housing conditions or living on less than US$2 a day. To date, Habitat for Humanity Zambia has helped build over 3,700 homes for low-income and vulnerable groups. To alleviate the housing deficit, Zambia needs to build 222,000 new housing units annually between 2016 and 2030. Join this trip and help Zambia reach its goal!
You’ll stay in double-occupancy rooms at a local hotel where breakfast and dinner will be provided. Lunches will be served on the build site. Typical work site tasks include mixing and moving mortar, breaking and carrying blocks, building walls with cement block, placing window frames and more. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with the community through traditional dances and ceremonies or visiting craft markets.
- Saturday: Welcome. Join us in Lusaka, Zambia, where you’ll be greeted by Habitat staff. Get to know your team over dinner before traveling to your overnight accommodations in Lusaka.
- Sunday: Learn. Explore the city and then travel to Kabwe where you’ll learn more about Habitat’s work with vulnerable populations in the region and meet the community.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Spend the day on the build site, breaking for lunch, snacks and water. You’ll have free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning on the build site before celebrating the week’s accomplishments with the community in the afternoon and sharing a farewell dinner with the Habitat Zambia staff.
- Saturday: Explore. Travel back to Lusaka where you’ll visit local sites and enjoy a final dinner with your team.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Zambia independently or head home.
Please note that while our itineraries begin with arrival day in country, some locations require additional days for travel.
Leading this team
Karen leads Global Village teams because she loves introducing volunteers to Habitat’s mission in new locations and watching teams bond as they learn about each member’s unique gifts. Having been fortunate enough to lead over 16 Global Village teams and participate in a number of Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Projects around the world, Karen understands that volunteerism is at the heart of the Habitat experience.
When asked about her Global Village experiences Karen shared, “There is no joy greater than serving with others to enhance the quality of families’ lives through Habitat’s vision -- providing strength, stability and independence through simple, decent housing.” Karen hopes you’ll join her for an unforgettable experience.