In the face of disaster: Rebuilding lives and communities
Heavy rains and high winds caused severe flooding and affected families in the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Donate now to assist Habitat in its efforts. Donate today
|BRACED—Building Readiness And Capacities for Emerging Disasters—explores issues related to Habitat for Humanity’s Latin American and Caribbean disaster response program.|
Disaster Response programs
Devastating natural disasters happen around the world every year. War, conflict and civil unrest also create millions of refugees and internally displaced people. Families left homeless by disasters and refugees returning to their homelands face uncertain futures, often confronting dire housing needs as they struggle to rebuild their lives.
Habitat for Humanity International recognizes the need to provide shelter and housing solutions to help these families recover. Habitat’s Disaster Response program works with the global Habitat community in the areas of disaster mitigation, preparedness, shelter and long-term recovery initiatives. Disaster Response focuses on the housing needs that arise from natural disasters and humanitarian emergency conflicts.
The mission of Habitat’s Disaster Response is to develop innovative housing and shelter assistance models that generate sustainable interventions for people vulnerable to or affected by disasters or conflicts. In addition, Disaster Response builds the capacity of the global Habitat community in the areas of disaster mitigation, preparedness and recovery through education, training and partnerships.
Manage the risk and responding to the effects of disaster
In partnership with Disaster Response at Habitat for Humanity’s international headquarters, the regional office for Latin America and the Caribbean offers resources to national programs in the areas of technical information, design, planning, policy development, protocols, procedures and disaster response standards. It also provides methodologies and resources for preparation and mitigation of disasters to Habitat offices located in areas susceptible to disasters.
To date, more than 50,000 families around the world have been served through the various initiatives in disaster response. By providing resources and expertise to communities to prepare and/or rebuild, Habitat has::
- Supported, trained and worked with families, repairing and constructing shelters and housing solutions.
- Created new and integrated settlements for the implementation of housing assistance programs.
- Developed innovative concepts for the implementation of housing assistance programs.
- Educated the public about various aspects of the construction of shelters and housing solutions in post-disaster situations.
- Formed partnerships and alliances with multilateral and intergovernmental organizations, nongovernmental organizations, church groups, businesses and other civil organizations.
- Introduced the topic of disaster preparation and mitigation practices that enable families and communities to reduce risks and protect against future disasters.
You can support Disaster Response efforts in Latin America and the Caribbean
Each year the Caribbean is threatened by the devastating storms that characterize the Atlantic Hurricane Season. During the period of 2000-2008, 146 disasters were recorded in the region, an average of 16 events per year. Haiti, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic have required disaster response attention almost annually.
We invite you to participate in the effort to rebuild lives and communities and help reduce the effect of disasters. Donate today!
Disaster Response news from Latin America and the Caribbean:
- Nicaragua: Nicaraguan Humanitarian Network and Civil Defense prepare for natural disasters
- Haiti: Habitat for Humanity launches construction of 2,000 transitional shelters in Léogane
- Nicaragua: Rainy season worsens housing situation
- Guatemala: After Agatha: Rebuilding Guatemala
- Chile: Habitat for Humanity volunteers assist in earthquake cleanup and reconstruction
- Haiti: Habitat for Humanity sets goal of helping 50,000 earthquake-affected families
- Haiti: Habitat for Humanity sends the first 500 emergency shelter kits
- Haiti: Habitat for Humanity will address housing needs after major earthquake
- El Salvador: Effects of recent storms continue to unfold
- El Salvador: Flooding and landslides in El Salvador
- Argentina: Habitat for Humanity provides disaster response in Tartagal
- Haiti: Reaching out in hurricane devastated Haiti