FL, Delray Beach - Volunteer Engagement Director
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Habitat for Humanity of South Palm Beach County, Inc. is seeking an experienced volunteer engagement director.
- Responsible for all aspects of the affiliate’s volunteer program.
- Responsible for the recruitment, processing, education, retention and coordination of all Habitat volunteers, including construction, committees and office volunteers.
- Work closely with the development director, family services director, Habitat ReStore managers, construction manager and Habitat’s home sponsors to manage volunteers, special events, roof raisings and home dedications.
- Serve as the affiliate’s host site manager for the AmeriCorps program. Manage and coordinate the recruiting, hiring, orientation, appreciation, reporting and other tasks for each year’s AmeriCorps team.
- The position works closely with all staff members and volunteers to create a positive and productive atmosphere for volunteers.
- Produce written informational and educational materials for volunteer outreach.
- Respond to all individual volunteer inquiries.
- Effectively schedule volunteers to meet the volunteer needs of construction staff.
- Meet with construction staff weekly and coach them on appropriate volunteer engagement activities.
- Engage, assess and refer volunteers for special needs such as committees, office work and special events.
- Coordinate the scheduling of groups and skilled volunteers.
- Work closely with the Habitat ReStore managers to coordinate Habitat ReStore volunteer program.
- Maintain volunteer records, statistics and volunteer database.
- Develop and implement formal and informal volunteer appreciation programs.
- Develop, maintain and evaluate “regular” construction volunteer programs to retain ongoing volunteers.
- Conduct twice-monthly orientations for volunteers.
- Monitor and assess the need for volunteer services and suggest program improvements.
- Prepare and maintain job descriptions for volunteer positions.
- Monitor volunteer satisfaction.
- Ensure that volunteer liability waivers are signed and filed.
- Work with staff to handle any volunteer concerns or issues.
- Maintain volunteer manual.
- Manage community service volunteers from local jurisdictions.
- Coordinate activities for youth volunteers (Boy/Girl Scouts, etc.).
- Work with the development director to maintain and update sponsor manual/database.
- Work with development director to develop volunteer coordination plan with home sponsors.
- Coordinate the scheduling of sponsor volunteers during home construction/rehabilitation process.
- Plan and coordinate home dedication ceremonies with construction, family services and development.
- Provide training materials, procedures and current information to all Habitat committees.
- Maintain communication and provide support to committee chairs.
- Hold annual committee chair meeting and provide training as needed.
- Work with staff liaisons to ensure productive committees that provide a meaningful experience for volunteers.
- Serve as staff liaison to Women Build committee.
- Serve as staff liaison to speaker’s bureau and work closely with development director on speaker’s bureau messaging and training.
- Complete and submit the annual AmeriCorps application.
- Coordinate the recruiting of AmeriCorps members to serve at the affiliate.
- Manage the AmeriCorps experience of members serving with the affiliate, including orientation, member development and appreciation/recognition.
- Complete required reporting for the AmeriCorps program.
- Coordinate the interviewing and hiring AmeriCorps team members.
- Develop, evaluate and implement programs including orientation, appreciation, trainings, retreat(s), meetings and record-keeping systems for members.
- Ensure that members have a positive experience with HFHSPBC and successfully complete their individual member development plans.
- Provide documentation, complete reports and work cooperatively with Habitat International AmeriCorps and Volunteer Florida.
- Attend annual host site manager orientation.
- Coordinate food, staging and related logistics for blitz builds.
- Work closely with development director and other organizations on special projects and builds.
- Represent Habitat to the community through community presentations.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with sponsors and the community.
- Supervise volunteers in the office who assist with data entry, thank you and other tasks to support the volunteer department.
- Attend annual Points of Lights Conference.
- Contribute to newsletter for volunteer-related articles.
- Assist staff members in appreciation efforts for office volunteers.
- Coordinate volunteers for booths and fairs.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by executive director.
- Enthusiasm, teamwork focused and strong customer service orientation.
- Well organized and detail oriented.
- Knowledge of social media applications.
- Effective leadership and team building skills.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Possess tact, diplomacy and flexibility.
- Good supervisory skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Two years’ experience in the field of volunteer management or equivalent combination of experience, education and training.
- Personal volunteer experience.
Resumes will be accepted through March 15, 2013. Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. If employees of other affiliates are interested in this opportunity, we will be interviewing while at the National Conference in Atlanta, Ga., from March 11-13.