Volunteer, employment and homeownership opportunities
Thank you for your interest in Veterans Build. Through this initiative, Habitat provides volunteer, homeownership and employment opportunities to U.S. veterans, military service members and their families.
Today, 1.4 million veterans live in poverty. Much of this is a result of the cost of housing, despite having access to VA loans and other assistance. Almost 4 million veterans pay at least 30 percent of their income toward their rent or mortgage, while over 1.5 million pay at least 50 percent. The latter represents an enormous strain on any budget.
We are grateful to the men and women who have served, and are proud to be able to collaborate with them in various ways.
Veterans Build focuses in five key areas
- Home building and remodeling
Although our primary efforts center on building safe, affordable homes in collaboration with future Habitat homeowners, we also partner with The Home Depot Foundation to repair and remodel existing homes to make them more energy efficient, and therefore more cost-effective. Read more about the partnership.
Many returning service men and women feel disconnected upon returning home. Volunteering allows them to work together with their families, other volunteers and future Habitat homeowners, providing a sense of unity during and after the transition from the military. It also allows them an additional opportunity to support and strengthen their community.
Finding a sense of purpose can be difficult after leaving the military, but employment can help fill that role. We recognize the valuable skills that service members hold, and recruit them to be local and international staff, volunteers, board members and interns.
We offer financial education and literacy programs to veterans and their families in order to ensure successful Habitat homeownership.
Paying tribute to these men and women is a year-round experience for Habitat through special events, building awareness and volunteer opportunities.
Notable successes and celebrations
- Sixty-eight percent of our local partners actively engage the military or veterans either as new homeowners or volunteers.
- Over 500 housing builds have been completed with veteran families, including new builds or renovations.
- In order to better meet the needs of veterans through a holistic approach, we are currently partnering with or reaching out to more than 100 organizations that serve veterans.
Take the next step with Veterans Build
- Contact your local Habitat to find out if there's a Veterans Build near you.
- Participate in a special event.
- Learn about our critical home repair program for veterans.
- Learn more about being a Habitat homeowner.
- Donate to this initiative.
For additional information, please contact VeteransBuild@habitat.org.