PA, Harrisburg – Habitat ReStore Assistant Manager
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Reports to: Habitat ReStore Manager
Direct reports: Volunteers, vendor personnel
Habitat ReStore mission: The Habitat ReStore is a nonprofit business specializing in the resale of new and gently used building materials and supplies to the public.
Our mission is to:
- Provide additional funding to serve more families in our community.
- Expand opportunities to serve a broader base of the low-income community by providing low-cost materials.
- Provide good stewardship of sustainable resources in the community.
Proceeds from the sale of donated items at the Habitat ReStore directly benefit Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Harrisburg Area’s efforts to build, rehab and repair homes in partnership with low to moderate-income families in Dauphin County and the West Shore.
Position mission: Assists the Habitat ReStore manager to generate revenue, meet budgets and maintain profitability objectives in support of Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Harrisburg Area operations through the acquisition, management and marketing of products. Consistently create positive visibility and face of Habitat, demonstrating the mission of the Habitat ReStore, affiliate and Habitat for Humanity International.
Position summary: Provide sustained customer and donor relationships through securing donations, generating sales and raising awareness of Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Harrisburg Area’s mission in the community. Strive to meet daily, weekly and monthly Habitat ReStore sales goals. Supervise, train, and motivate associates and volunteers. Management responsibilities include key holder duties, sales, customer service, paid associate and volunteer performance, safety, security and maintenance of the facilities. Assist in ReStore marketing and communication strategies such as social media and website and ensure donors customers and volunteers have an excellent experience when working with the Habitat ReStore.
- Assist manager to drive donations, sales and profits to further the Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Harrisburg Area mission.
- Demonstrate and train associates in outstanding service to customers, donors, volunteers and others.
- Establish and maintain relationships with potential and existing donors, including individuals, businesses, community and congregation groups to increase quality and quantity of merchandise donations.
- Understand and communicate to all associate positions the key performance metrics for all Habitat ReStore operations and how they relate/contribute to positive customer experience and high quality operations.
- Opening and closing of the Habitat ReStore for scheduled daily hours.
- General oversight of store operations and volunteer management in coordination with other team managers and Habitat ReStore manager.
- Complete daily sales/cash register reconciliation and deposits.
- Monitor all task checklists for proper completion and ensure evaluation notations are complete.
- Assist the manager with the store display, arrangement of items and best use of the available display space and uses inventory control system to ensure appropriate turnover of aging stock.
- Produce daily and weekly truck schedules for pickups and deliveries and coordinate driver/helper schedules with warehouse manager.
- Assist manager in developing and implementing marketing and public relations campaigns for increasing donations and sales.
- Maintain the volunteer manual and positions descriptions and assignments under the direction of the manager.
- Assist warehouse associates and volunteers to ensure all items are properly priced and ticketed for sale.
- Assist warehouse associates and volunteers as required maintaining orderly flow of items in warehouse and outside yard.
- Oversee selection and pricing of collectible items in-store and online.
- Oversee and maintain daily/weekly task assignments and records.
- Achieve excellent customer, donor and volunteer ratings.
Public relations, marketing and advertising
- Assist manager in developing and implementing a public relations plan to work with local organizations and media to further the mission of Habitat ReStore and local affiliate.
- Assist manager in developing, rolling out and measuring marketing and advertising programs to increase donations, sales and volunteer participation.
- Assist in marketing and communication strategies such as social media and website.
Staff and volunteer management
- Assist manager in training and managing Habitat ReStore associates in accordance with relevant personnel and safety policies and take steps to ensure staff is well-versed so that all policies and practices are understood and adhered to.
- Assist manager in training and managing Habitat ReStore volunteers in accordance with relevant personnel and safety policies and take steps to ensure associates are well-versed so that all policies and practices are understood and adhered to.
- Schedule associate schedules and volunteer schedules.
- Perform thorough welcoming and safety briefings for all volunteer groups, and non-regular volunteers. Such briefings are to be given to regular volunteers at least annually.
- Model excellent customer, donor and volunteer behavior and encourage others to behave similarly.
- Assist manager to ensure all associates and volunteers understand and can effectively communicate the Habitat ReStore, Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Harrisburg Area and HFH missions to members of the public.
Finance and administration
- Assist manager in completing daily sales and reconciliations.
- Challenge associates and volunteers to meet and exceed daily, weekly and monthly financial goals.
- Supervise associates and volunteer POS activities, and assist where needed to improve accuracy.
Reporting and communications
- Assist with providing reports of designated activities including but not limited to: sales, expenses, outreach activities and other areas of interest to executive director and finance manager information, work and safety practices are reinforced with associates and others who will be in the facility and property through regular meetings and trainings.
- Assist with keeping executive director informed appropriately and timely of operational and financial matters.
Performance outcomes/annual review items
- Meeting goals set forth in annual budget, financial plan and affiliate strategic plan.
- Managing and motivating employees for best use of skills in fulfilling objectives.
- Assist manager in managing pricing and inventory for selection and turnover.
- Assist manager in developing and building strong volunteer support.
- Meeting donor and customer expectations.
- Assist manager in maintaining safety and security and condition of properties.
- Assist manager in developing and implementing appropriate computerized systems.
- Ethical leadership demonstrating consistent high standards of integrity and accountability.
- Excellent leadership skills, including associate selection, training, coaching and developing.
- Team building though positive and effective communications and strong interpersonal skills.
- Innovation based on sound business acumen and consideration of a range of risk and reward factors.
- Initiative represented by “a sense of urgency” energy, enthusiasm, attention to detail and follow up.
- Adaptability: a quick, sound and positive decision maker in rapidly changing conditions; anticipating, addressing and solving problems.
- A relationship builder for cooperative, mutually beneficial and long-term relationships.
- Personal presence, projecting a professional image in speech and demeanor in interactions with others in multiple venues and scenarios.
Required skills and experience
- A minimum of three years responsible retail experience in a supervisory position preferred.
- Solid application of interpersonal and communications skills, internally and externally, with groups and individuals.
- The ability and willingness to call on existing and potential donors to increase merchandise in the store.
- Basic computer skills, including spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, POS systems and email.
- A history of successfully adapting to rapidly changing conditions with unexpected shifts in priorities.
- Ability to safely lift and position up to 50 pounds. Job could entail occasional bending, kneeling and reaching, often in awkward or tiring positions. While time in the office completing office work will be expected, majority of time will be spent walking and standing in store assisting associates, volunteers donors and customers on the floor.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Cannot be a registered sex offender nor have any felony convictions.
- May be required to pass a background check.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as directed.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Habitat for Humanity is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin or disability.