Regional Disaster Risk Reduction & Response Manager
Working in the world’s most disaster-prone region, Habitat’s Asia/Pacific area office has seen firsthand how calamities wreak havoc. In response to these disasters, Habitat for Humanity paves the way for better, permanent homes and more resilient communities to be rebuilt on a larger scale. The Philippines, which is hit by an average of 20 typhoons a year (the most recent and devastating, Typhoon Haiyan, known locally as Yolanda, made landfall in the Philippines on 8 November 2013.) This single disaster affected around 16 million people in 44 provinces. Habitat has committed to a combination of response efforts for those affected by Typhoon Haiyan by providing aid (combination of distributing 30,000 shelter repair kits and building 30,000 homes.) Coordination and management of such proportions requires a strong and knowledgeable Disaster/Emergency Response team to ensure successful synchronization of resources from partner and donor agencies.
The Disaster Risk Reduction & Response Manager (DR³ Manager) will work at the regional level and be based at our Asia/Pacific area office in Manila, Philippines. We anticipate expanding the regional Disaster Response team and the DR³ Manager will lead the overall regional disaster response efforts. As the DR³ Manager you will connect, network, and create a coordinated response with international agencies involved in large-scale response efforts. You will be the primary Habitat representative at sector forums/conferences, positioning Habitat as a shelter/housing leader within the region.
- Oversee all aspects of Habitat’s response (logistics, capacity building, mitigation, and management)
- Create, build, and maintain connections with organizations focused on DR within the AP region
- Develop and advance Habitat’s DR³ Community of Practice; actively participate in Habitat’s Global DR³ Community of Practice
- Maintain and disseminate up-to-date knowledge of DR practices to National Organizations, Branches, and Partner organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in combination with additional continued relevant training within the DR framework
- 5+ years’ experience in supervision of disaster response projects
- Proven experience in the successful design, development, and management of project proposals (including budgets)ensuring alignment with institutional and donor funding agency requirements
- Working knowledge of appropriate construction technologies suited to Disaster Risk Reduction & Response
- Strong command of the English language
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively
- Prior hands-on experience working within the Asia/Pacific region
- Demonstrated knowledge of current Disaster Risk Reduction and Response approaches, methodologies and tools, with a focus on the shelter and housing sector
- Previous experience coordinating DR³ efforts with large, international agencies (i.e. GFN, HQ, UN agencies, IFRC, DFID,OCHA, ECHO, USAID-OFDA, etc.)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
|About Habitat: |
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. Habitat for Humanity has an Administrative Headquarters based in Atlanta, an Operational Headquarters based in Americus, Georgia, and Area Office bases of operations in Manilla, Philippines for our Asia and Pacific work, San Jose, Costa Rica for our Latin American and Caribbean work and Bratislava, Slovakia for our Europe, the Middle East and Africa work.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
|Region:||Asia & the Pacific|
|Job Position Type:||International Employment|
|Job Function:||Disaster Response, International Programs|
|Job Position Category:||International Post|
|Auto Req ID:||74BR|