banner image
Other firsts -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l 1

Other firsts

 

 

1942: The Jordans and the Englands found Koinonia Farm in Sumter County, Georgia.

   


In 1942, Clarence and Florence Jordan and Martin and Mabel England found Koinonia Farm in Sumter County, Georgia, as a “demonstration plot for the Kingdom of God.” Koinonia Farm will later become the birthplace of Habitat for Humanity.

In 1976, Millard and Linda Fuller, who together with Clarence Jordan developed the partnership housing model, return from Africa, and Habitat for Humanity is formed with headquarters in Americus, Ga. That same year, construction begins on the first house in San Antonio, Texas, Habitat’s first affiliate, and the first partnership houses are completed in Zaire.

In 1977, Clive Rainey joins Habitat for Humanity International as its first volunteer.

In 1984, Habitat World, a publication about Habitat’s work, is introduced. Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, become Habitat partners. The first Jimmy Carter Work Project is held in New York City.

In 1987, the Habitat for Humanity International board of directors approves the Youth Programs department. The first campus chapter is at Baylor University in Waco, Texas.

 

 

2009: The Obamas volunteer on a Habitat build site alongside AmeriCorps members. Photo by Ralph Alswang

   


In 1990, Bo and Emma Johnson pay off their mortgage on the first Koinonia Partnership home.

In 1991, the first Habitat ReStore opens in Winnipeg, Canada.

In 1998, Habitat for Humanity International officially forms the Women Build department.

In 2009, the current first family of the United States commemorates the Sept. 11 anniversary by volunteering on a Habitat build site alongside AmeriCorps members. The build is part of the National Day of Service and Remembrance that President Obama signed into law in April 2009.