Youth United matching grant
State Farm® Youth United Matching Grant 2014-2015
Since 2007, State Farm has served as the official corporate sponsor of Habitat for Humanity International’s Youth Programs. Their sponsorship commitment helps youth throughout the United States become more engaged in their communities, and ultimately helps build more homes for families in need. State Farm is proud to renew this sponsorship through the 2014-2015 school year, continuing to serve as the official corporate sponsor of Habitat for Humanity’s Youth Programs.
State Farm has provided 10 matching grants and three bonus grants for Youth United for the 2014-15 school year. The available grants include:
- Three $10,000 matching grants.
- Five $4,000 matching grants.
- Two $2,000 start-up matching grants for new groups in first or second year.
- Three $1,000 bonus grants.
Grantees must raise the amount of the matching grant between May 15, 2014 and May 15, 2015 and provide verification from the affiliate to receive the matching funds.
Youth United may apply for one of three Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative bonus grants of $1,000 which will be awarded based on the project described. Bonus grants funds can be used for house rehabilitation, weatherization, a beautification project, community garden or A Brush with Kindness-type project. Groups must apply for and receive a matching grant to be eligible for a bonus. The bonus grants do not have to be matched. For instance, if a group is awarded a $4,000 matching grant and a bonus grant, they would have to raise $4,000 and then will receive $5,000.
Action planning sessions
This grant is designed to help Youth United programs improve their ability to support Habitat and become better fundraisers. Therefore groups may also apply to receive an in-person, four to six hour meeting with a Habitat for Humanity International Youth Programs staff that focuses on topics chosen by the group. Common topics include fundraising, working with younger youth, education, advocacy and more.
Groups that received one in the 2013-2014 school year are not eligible to receive one this year.
- April 1, 2014: Application available online.
- October 1, 2014: Applications due.
- Select applicants will interviewed during the month of October.
- Award recipients notified by November 14, 2014.
- May 15, 2015: All grant requirements must be met for funds to be received.
In order to receive the grant, the affiliate must be in good standing with HFHI, have signed the annual Youth United Letter of Intent by October 1, 2014, and completed their end of year Youth United report by June 30, 2014. Youth United groups who have been awarded another grant through HFHI must be up to date in their reporting.
Youth United programs who received the matching grant in 2013-2014 (awards were announced in fall 2013) may apply again; however, preference will be given to new applicants.
Applications will be evaluated based on:
- Organization and sustainability of the Youth United group.
- Success in involving diverse youth in Youth United.
- Success in engaging homeowners and under-16 youth in Youth United.
- Demonstrated fundraising capability.
If awarded the matching grant, Youth United groups are expected to:
- Sign a memorandum of understanding.
- Raise the matching amount by May 15, 2015.
Note: A letter from the affiliate indicating that the funds have been raised must be received by HFHI in order to transfer the funds. Funds will be sent directly to the affiliate.
- Plan and participate in a recognition event with your State Farm zone office.
- Complete the grant evaluation.
- Youth United groups who received an action planning session must complete their session, with at least six youth in attendance, by May 15, 2015.
If awarded the $1000 bonus grant, Youth United groups are expected to:
- Participate in an affiliate sponsored project that meets a community need.
- Be directly involved in the project.
- Reflect how funds were used in grant evaluation.
- Provide any photos, news articles or reflections from youth volunteers or affiliate staff to showcase the project.
To fill out the online application, you will need:
- Name and contact information of the affiliate contact and a youth leader.
- House sponsorship and fundraising history for the Youth United group.
- List of steering committee positions filled.
Contact us at email@example.com with any questions.