How to apply for a Habitat for Humanity house
If your family, or a family you know, is in need of decent, affordable housing, please contact your local Habitat for Humanity to apply. The local Habitat affiliate will explain the application process and provide information on the availability, size and cost of Habitat homes in your area. To find the Habitat affiliate serving your area, use our online search tool or call our help line at 1-800-422-4828.
Each Habitat affiliate selects “partner families” to become Habitat homeowners. Habitat for Humanity follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing partner families. Partner families are always selected based on their level of need, ability to pay and willingness to partner.
Applicants are required to meet several qualifications to ensure success. Each Habitat affiliate has its own guidelines. In general, prospective homeowners must:
- Be citizens or legal residents.
- Prove steady income.
- Have good credit.
- Earn a monthly income that falls within minimum and maximum limits, depending on household size.
- Sustain a savings account over a specified period of time.
In addition, each partner family will be required to:
- Invest sweat-equity hours in building his/her home and others.
- Make an affordable down payment.
- Make timely mortgage payments.
- Attend homeowner education classes.