Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Habitat’s projects, like our partner families and communities, span the globe and bring much needed support and relief to many individuals that live in poor housing. We are looking for an Advocacy Manager who is inspired and passionate about our vision of “a world where everyone has a decent place to live” and is able to deliver key messages to appropriate government departments, community group leaders, international organizations and to National Board/Governing Body members throughout our Asia/Pacific region.
As the Advocacy Manager, you serve as Habitat’s leader for advocacy strategic leadership and active involvement with National Organizations (NOs). You will coordinate and strategize with Habitat for Humanity International’s Government Relations & Advocacy Office in Washington DC to achieve full policy alignment across the HFHI organization. In addition, you will provide knowledge, expertise and advocacy related to various aspects of shelter/housing programs conducted by Habitat for Humanity and its implementing partners.
To be successful in this vital role, you should be skilled in the art of communication and understand how to ‘tell the story’ of why support is crucial for those living in inadequate housing and increasing awareness of how housing is a critical foundation in breaking the poverty cycle. You will interact heavily with our National Organization’s leadership and act as the liaison with key regional advocacy organizations to ensure HFHI is well positioned as a credible and influential player in the region.
The incumbents’ duties include:
1. Advise and support the Area and National Offices on advocacy and policy integration. Design and oversee the development and implementation of advocacy strategies which contribute to changes in unjust policies and practices.
2. Lead review processes and help strengthen the application of advocacy models in disaster response.
3. Participate and contribute to development of regional strategy and global advocacy strategies, priorities and plans ensuring that the advocacy and policy priorities of Asia Pacific are integrated and prioritized
4. Support the NOs in developing effective advocacy strategies and plans appropriate to their context in alignment with the regional and global strategies and priorities
5. Work closely with NOs providing technical leadership support and critical guidance and input in the area of advocacy integration and campaigning
6. Facilitate formation and coordination of regional advocacy forum/network that promotes learning
7. Develop and maintain good external relations with key regional advocacy organizations and networks so as to ensure that HFHI is well positioned as a credible and influential player in the region.
1. Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Political Science, Public Policy or International Affairs)
2. Formal instruction in training methodologies and/or certification in adult education
3. 5+ years’ experience in public advocacy at management level
4. Fluency in written and spoken English
5. Superior communication skills with strong diplomatic and conflict negotiation capability
1. An understanding of shelter/housing policy in the broader relief and development policy environment in the field and at the policy developing/decision-making level
2. An understanding of government policy and systems frameworks in the Asia-Pacific environment and countries
3. Work experience in Asia Pacific countries highly preferred
4. Knowledge of other relief policy actors such as UN, World Bank, National Governments, the US Government, the EU, INGOs, and INGO coordinating bodies, etc.,
Candidates please cut and paste your cover letter and resume into our applicant tracking system as ONE DOCUMENT when applying.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
|Job Title Modifier:||Asia Pacific|
|Posting Id:||57 707|