Construction and Appropriate Technologies Manager
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Habitat for Humanity International is excited to seek the Construction and Appropriate Technologies Manager to develop and direct area-wide organizational strategies that promote and support quality low-cost housing solutions and provide a framework for appropriate response to disasters. This individual shall reflect Habitat values of quality, low cost construction, utilization of locally available materials, and minimal negative environmental impact. The position will report to the Associate Director, Programs and be based at our area satellite office in Manila.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong knowledge base in construction, low-income housing programs, and experience in designing housing solutions.
DUTIES/AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Vision and Planning
• Develops and implements strategies for the promotion and support of low-cost housing solutions that are culturally and environmentally appropriate
• Leads area-wide initiatives and activities that seek housing solutions with a greater impact on lower income families not already assisted by Habitat
• Promotes continuous improvement in housing systems and processes
• Promotes and supports design and construction innovations
• Provides technical support in the areas of construction, appropriate technology, disaster response, water and sanitation and special builds as appropriate
• Advises National Organizations on strategies to improve construction planning and management and assists national organizations to meet HFHI housing quality standards and guidelines
• Develops and promotes systems that assure construction quality
• Advises National Organizations in the development of disaster response programs, infrastructure, and plans that facilitate an effective response to disasters, both complex and natural, in a positive and productive developmentally focused manner
• Advises National Organizations in the fields of new and alternative construction technologies and environmentally responsible construction; facilitates field testing of appropriate construction technology (ACT) initiatives for implementation into national building programs
• Conducts evaluations of the affiliate building process as requested by the National Organization (NO)
• Develops and delivers effective training, orientation, and reference materials and tools
• Assists NOs in developing and professionalizing their construction staff capacity including the installation and use of efficient construction system and practices
• Assists national organizations in developing strategies and systems for housing support services (HSS) as a program innovation
• Develops, promotes and shares technologies and effective practices on water and sanitation
• Provides technical support for special builds in coordination with the host countries
• Coordinates work and exchanges ideas with other regional specialists and counterparts in other HFH offices
• Networks with organizations and associations working in the fields related to low-cost housing
• 5 years’ experience in managing and/or advising low-income housing programs
• 3 years’ experience in designing housing solutions
• Bachelor´ s Degree in related field: Architecture, Civil Engineering, Urban Development, with strong background in structural engineering and social/affordable housing designs
• Demonstrated construction skills and knowledge. Drafting or design skills preferred
• Experience in construction evaluation and project management
• Excellent English language communication skills, both written and verbal
• Cross-cultural communication skills mandatory
• Working knowledge of another Area specific language preferred
• Excellent problem solving skills required
• Computer usage skills in MS Office and computer aided design programs a must
• Process facilitation and organizational development skills
• Provides leadership and uses appropriate and improved construction methods and materials
• Training/experience in Disaster Response management helpful
• Experience working with volunteers or unskilled laborers strongly preferred
• Involvement in local and international low-income housing networks/coalitions preferred
Please submit your resume and cover letter as ONE DOCUMENT into our applicant tracking system.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
|Job Title Modifier:||Asia and the Pacific|
|Posting Id:||53 278|