Director, State and Local Relations
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is seeking a highly skilled professional to serve as our Director, State and Local Relations and to support our Habitat for Humanity affiliates and state support organizations by providing government relations, policies and advocacy expertise.
- Identify and prioritize key state and local policies impacting the ability of Habitat affiliates and State Support Organizations (SSOs) to meet local housing needs
- Maintain an online library of state and local policy resources (toolkits, best practices, background information, research) to support affiliate and SSO policy advocacy
- Track priority policy issues at the state level across the country and be able to share updates with affiliates and state organizations.
- Work with affiliates and state organizations to develop strategies and tactics to improve housing policies and systems.
- Provide policy content for state and local advocacy trainings and materials.
- Represent HFH to national associations and coalitions of state and local officials and community development organizations and develop joint/coalition advocacy strategies in support of affiliate and SSO advocacy priorities.
- In concert with the state support organizations and HFHI’s Resource Development Department, identify and develop relationships with potential funding sources and partner organizations to support the advocacy work of affiliates using SSOs as delivery vehicles.
- Provide public policy focused technical assistance to SSOs and affiliates developing and implementing advocacy agendas.
- Support HFHI advocacy campaigns and events, including the annual Habitat on the Hill Legislative Conferenc
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 6 to 10 years of relevant experience in state and local policy work
- Working knowledge of state and local legislatures, state agencies, and non-profit organizations
- Experience with government organizations at the state or local level highly preferred
- Very strong and written and oral communications skills
- Experience with housing issues strongly preferred
This position is based in our office in Washington D.C.
|About Habitat: |
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. Habitat for Humanity has an Administrative Headquarters based in Atlanta, an Operational Headquarters based in Americus, Georgia, and Area Office bases of operations in Manilla, Philippines for our Asia and Pacific work, San Jose, Costa Rica for our Latin American and Caribbean work and Bratislava, Slovakia for our Europe, the Middle East and Africa work.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
|Job Position Type:||US Employment|
|Job Function:||Advocacy, Government Relations|
|Job Position Category:||Full-time - Salaried|
|Auto Req ID:||9BR|