IA, Des Moines - Director of Communications
Communication Guru – aka Director of Communications
Faster than social media! More powerful than the written word! Able to market and influence tall crowds in a single bound! Look! Behind that ad! It’s a message! It’s changing lives! It’s Habitat’s Communication Guru!
Help Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity focus its message to build homes, community, and hope. Provide oversight and guidance to mission loving staff and volunteers to bring consistency and clarity communicating Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity’s great work to break the cycle of poverty. The fun, energetic person filling the Director of Communications will work collaboratively to develop and implement communication strategies to broaden the impact that changes lives and rebuilds neighborhoods.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
General Position Description:
The Director of Communications will work collaboratively with senior leadership to develop and implement communication strategies to broaden the impact of Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity’s programs and oversee organizational messaging. The Director of Communications will guide those strategies for all communications, website, social media, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity’s mission and priorities.
- Develop communications strategies in collaboration with senior leadership that will broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact.
- Develop and refine GDM Habitat’s “core” messages to ensure organizational consistency.
- Oversee organizational messaging and branding.
- Connect stakeholders to mission with stories that demonstrate GDM Habitat’s impact through photos, video, written and in-person.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, social media, and GDM Habitat’s website.
- Coordinate internal and external webpage maintenance to ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly.
- Manage all media relations including press releases, earned media opportunities and media inquiries.
- Coordinate and track community outreach.
- Support special projects as needed.
- Oversee marketing activities for all areas of organization. Marketing activities will be appropriate in scale for nonprofit and include close collaboration with Habitat ReStore leadership.
- Five years equivalent of communication, marketing, public relations experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex nonprofit, and covering areas such as website content, media relations, newsletters, and donor communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or equivalent.
- An ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence".
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Significant communications experience that includes a blend of relationship building and media relations.
- Proficient in software skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, basic graphic design, and presentation tools. Proficient in Associated Press style.
- Ability to coach and support senior leaders as spokespersons.
- Effective analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong belief in GDM Habitat’s mission.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed.
- Forty hours per week minimum. Flexibility to attend meetings and events in evenings and on weekends.
ONLY CANDIDATES WHO FOLLOW THE SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS JOB ADVERTISEMENT ON HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB WILL BE CONSIDERED.
|Affiliate Name:||Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity|
|Location:||Des Moines, Iowa|
|Job Position Type:||Affiliate|
|Job Function:||US Affiliate|
|Job Position Category:||Affiliate-Opportunity|
|Auto Req ID:||215BR|