IA, Des Moines - Strategic Partnerships Support AmeriCorps
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Reports to: Director of strategic partnerships
Position type: Six-month AmeriCorps service agreement
Position description: Member will assist the Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity team with outreach to outlying communities and assist with preparing for volunteers and coordinating their activities during special events.
- Assist with neighborhood relations and/or outreach to support Habitat’s ability to serve more families through public speaking, attending volunteer or mission fairs, community meetings and other events as Habitat’s representative.
- Help prepare for and coordinate the service of volunteers at Habitat sites during special events in Des Moines and outlying communities.
- Assist with replying to requests for information about Habitat in general or Habitat events that come in via email, phone or other means.
- Assist with outreach to families that are participating in Habitat programs.
- Other duties as assigned, none of which will include the prohibited or unallowable activities as set forth by Corporation for National and Community Service AmeriCorps grant requirements.
- Commitment to share Habitat for Humanity’s mission and vision.
- Able to speak, hear and write to give detailed information through verbal and written communication in English; ability to understand, speak and/or write in Spanish is desirable but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and pay attention to detail; previous project or event management experience is desirable but not required.
- Willingness to serve with diverse team of staff, volunteers, partner families and neighborhood residents.
- Adaptable and able to thrive in both a sedentary office environment and in an active construction environment; i.e. able to sit or stand for extended periods of time and walk on uneven surfaces.
- Computer literate, with working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, email and the ability to use basic office equipment such as copiers, printers, land lines and/or cell phones.
- Willingness to maintain a flexible service schedule as needed to fulfill the responsibilities of this position, including some weekends and evenings.
- Initiative and ability to conduct research and make calls to support the outreach and event support responsibilities of this position with minimal guidance and oversight.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel as needed to fulfill duties of this position. Access to a car is required to fill some duties of this position; mileage reimbursement will be provided for supervisor-approved travel.
- Willingness and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Living allowance of $6,050 for a completed term.
- Education award of $2,775 upon completion of term if member is eligible.
- Health insurance may be available at no cost to the member.
- Worker’s compensation.
- Student loan forbearance may be available.
This position is not expected to have regular, scheduled and anticipated recurring access to vulnerable populations through their service.
All offers will be contingent on successfully passing a background check and to approval by the Iowa Commission on Volunteer Services.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter stating the reasons for your interest in this position, as well as names and contact information for two references to Brendalyn Shird, Director of Strategic Partnerships, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have created an AmeriCorps profile at nationalservice.gov, you may submit a copy in lieu of or in addition to your resume. Applications will be accepted until February 15, 2014 or until this AmeriCorps State position is filled by a qualified candidate, whichever occurs first.
Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity is an equal opportunity employer.