NY, New York - Chief Financial Offier
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Summary of position:
The CFO of Habitat for Humanity New York City is an integral member of the senior leadership team. The CFO is responsible for all financial management and information systems of organization’s growing and complex operation. The CFO will provide thorough financial risk assessments and introduce policies, procedures and business practices to mitigate risk while encouraging entrepreneurial growth.
While a direct report to the CEO, the CFO will report any financial irregularities to the board of directors directly.
Major accountabilities include but are not limited to:
Accounting and administration
- Coordinate and ensure the timely preparation of financial statements, financial reports, special analyses and information reports.
- Manage the administrative process for selection of the external auditor; negotiate terms of engagement for approval by the board.
- Assess and manage budgetary procedures; prepare annual budget for CEO and board approval.
- Interact with staff to provide consultative support to planning initiatives through financial and management information analyses, reports and recommendations.
- Determine and manage the organization’s insurance needs in compliance with board policies.
- Establish ongoing relationships with counterparts in other not-for-profits and Habitat for Humanity affiliates.
- Optimize the impact upon the organization’s operations with respect to all applicable taxes.
- Manages the employee administrator relationship.
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal reporting requirements.
Finance and risk mitigation
- Interact with banks and other lending institutions and ensure appropriate asset and liability management/liquidity.
- Develop and implement appropriate financial and operational controls for the organization including budgeting, asset management, risk analysis and charity law.
- Ensure compliance monitoring systems are implemented and regularly reevaluate.
Planning and policy development
- Report any financial irregularities to the board of directors directly.
- Review and update appropriate accounting policies and practices.
- Liaise with the audit and risk committee of the board of directors and the external auditor to ensure that all reports are completed on time and in accordance with appropriate audit and acceptable governance standards.
- Provide leadership, training and development of departmental staff in order to maximize their potential.
- Oversee the approval and processing of revenue, expenditure and position control documents, department budgets, mass salary updates, ledger and account maintenance and data entry.
- Responsible for the technologic direction of the organization acting as the liaison with the consulting agencies who implement and manage the systems.
- Develop and propose short and long term IT strategies.
In summary, Habitat for Humanity New York City is seeking an experienced finance professional who brings the following skills and experiences:
- Seasoned, strategic and process-minded leader with proven success directing financial and operations management.
- A minimum of 10 years of senior level experience is supported by your accounting designation.
- Demonstrated experience implementing appropriate controls and systems taking user requirements and scale of the organization into account.
- Experience with not-for-profit activities, regulations and reporting requirements in New York City.
- Experience with nonprofit, affordable housing in NYC a significant asset.
- Strong ability to successfully lead and be part of a team.
- Proven excellence of interpersonal skills dealing with internal and external stakeholders, external advisors and different levels of government.
- Up to date knowledge of financial and accounting legislation and standards.
- Highly regarded by auditors and audit committees s/he has worked with in the past.
- A passion for the mission of Habitat for Humanity.
- From time to time represent the organization externally to media, government agencies, funding agencies and the general public.
- Recruit, train, supervise and evaluate department staff.
Please send your resume and cover letter by email only to email@example.com and write “CFO position” in the subject line of the email.