WA, Renton - Director of Habitat ReStores
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Department: Habitat ReStores
Classification: Full time, exempt
Reports to: CEO
Primary office location: Renton, WA
Are you driven by taking a retail business from good to great? Do you have the passion to inspire donors to give to one of the world’s most recognizable brands? Are you a visionary leader with proven retail sales domination? If you can answer yes to all three of these questions, then this senior level leadership position will change your life!
This new director position needs a superstar to aggressively grow a future chain of Habitat for Humanity ReStores throughout King County. It’s simple, the sale of donated and reclaimed building materials, appliances, furniture and tools from local individuals and area businesses generates revenue to support increased building, renovation and repair activities for Habitat for Humanity Seattle-King County.
The director of Habitat ReStores is responsible for the overall operations and continued growth of the two existing successful stores in Seattle and Bellevue, as well as leading the expansion of five to seven additional stores in King County in the next decade. Join a powerful and talented senior leadership team serving one of the world’s greatest missions and visions in King County - providing a decent roof over the head of families in need! We are looking for proven talent and are willing to investment in the right leader.
Primary duties and core responsibilities
A. Fundraising and fostering support with partners in the community.
- Head an aggressive store expansion strategy to improve performance of existing stores, while meeting goals over the next decade in King County to expand from two stores generating $1.6 million to five to seven stores generating $8 million to $11 million.
- Work in partnership with the HFHSKC marketing and senior management teams to develop compelling public relations, promotion and ReStore brand campaigns.
- In cooperation with the director of finance and store managers, develop and manage individual store budgets and operation decisions with documented metrics.
- Responsible for operations management including the consistent, safe and positive development of retail associates and volunteers insuring a high quality donor and customer experience (1 FTE per $100K gross sales).
- Identify and initiate opportunities to reduce expenses and create increased operational efficiencies.
- Provide continued network development to expand the scope of Habitat ReStore activities and develop long-term, collaborative relationships with community based trade/business groups, churches, donors to secure donations and raise awareness of the HFHSKC mission.
- Oversee the development of necessary policies and procedures for ReStore operations.
- Represent HFHSKC through networking and public speaking engagements.
- Other tasks as assigned and needed.
This individual must understand and appreciate the mission of Habitat for Humanity Seattle-King County. The responsibilities are broad in scope, encompassing a wide variety of activities requiring rapid shifts in priorities and dedication.
Qualified candidates must possess:
- Above-average written and verbal communication skills.
- Public speaking experience.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a fast-paced team environment.
- Able to deal with all kinds of individuals and remain consistent in keeping a professional demeanor.
- Experience working with major donors.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Capability to multi-task while maintaining a quality outcome.
- Be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Frequent bending, squatting, lifting and repetitive motion.
- Perform various retail functions.
- Sitting/working at a computer/laptop for extended periods of time.
- A minimum of 10 years of related experience in retail operation and senior management duties.
- Must be able to demonstrate results, have a proven track record of success in building and leading retail teams, developing new stores and managing multiple sites.
- Commercial realty experience and community engagement experience a plus.
- Developed leadership history.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; equivalent work experience will be considered.
Certificates, licenses and registrations
- Valid driver’s License with a good driving record.
Full benefit package to include generous paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, Simple IRA with company matching, short/long term disability, life insurance.
To build a diverse work force, Habitat for Humanity of Seattle-King County is firmly committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and will provide such opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, sexual preference, national origin, age, religion, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply: Please submit resume and cover letter to HR@habitatskc.org. Applications will be reviewed beginning in December.