IN, Westfield - Construction Manager
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Reports to: President and CEO
Successful Habitat team members share the following characteristics:
- You believe in the value of lending a hand up.
- You have a “go above and beyond” attitude.
- You thrive on constructive feedback and have a high level of integrity.
- You follow through on what you say you will do.
- You are a creative problem solver who works across teams and with a variety of constituents.
- You love results, not excuses.
- You are willing to stretch yourself creatively in order to fulfill the vision of an expanding ministry.
- Develop and execute short-term construction schedule in partnership with Habitat team.
- Be familiar with Habitat requirements and best practices for construction, rehab, remodel, repair and/or demolition.
- Develop all necessary build plans.
- Secure all necessary permits.
- Follow accessibility and energy efficiency guidelines.
- Manage a bid process.
Construction staff management
- Supervise professional and volunteer construction personnel. Use existing skilled persons, maximizing benefit.
- Identify, train and support volunteer site supervisors and crew leaders, empowering them to lead projects.
- Provide training and development opportunities for staff and long-term volunteers.
- Work closely with Tiger Team volunteers, community outreach director, and family services director to best match volunteer, partner family and project needs.
- Implement and promote rigorous safety measures.
- Supervise and manage build sites on each designated workday.
- Work with contractors and subs to ensure timely and accurate completion of projects.
- Order inspections; ensure that houses are built to code.
- Use gift-in-kind materials and labor when possible.
- Provide updates regarding project status and estimated completion dates.
- Responsible for projects until complete and sold to homeowners.
Materials and labor procurement
- Ensure timely and clear communication with contractors, vendors, and subs. Develop and maintain working relationships.
- Responsible for ordering correct quantity and having materials delivered on time to job site.
- Develop and maintain new connections with vendors.
- Negotiate prices and timelines for subcontracted services and material vendors.
Management of information
- Development of and continuous tracking of budgets relating to construction activities.
- Estimate and report value of gifts-in-kind.
- Keep the CEO informed of the progress, problems and needs during on-site construction/rehab activity.
Required knowledge and skills:
- Application of universal design elements and ability to implement them.
- Commitment to Habitat for Humanity ideals and philosophy.
- Ability to work with people of all races, faiths and backgrounds.
- One year of construction experience with Habitat for Humanity or five years of related experience.
- Computer literacy and knowledge of Word and Excel is a must.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel to and from work.
- Highly organized individual.
- Demonstrated knowledge of scheduling multiple projects.
- Must be a good listener and able to engage in well-considered discussions.
- Must have good anticipatory abilities and personally act on them as needs arise.
- Must be willing to understand the big picture of the Habitat for Humanity mission and know that construction is only a part of the larger goal in transforming communities.
Salary/benefits: Full-time, $40,000 annually with health insurance stipend and use of company truck.
Apply: Send resume by Oct. 25, 2013 to email@example.com or mail to P.O. Box 247, Westfield, IN 46074.