International Housing Finance
Habitat’s basic home building and finance model:
- Habitat builds and rehabilitates houses alongside homeowner families.
- Uses volunteer labor.
- Accepts donations of money and materials.
- Homeowner families invest a down payment, monthly mortgage payments and hundreds of hours of their own labor.
Habitat’s home building and finance model in developing world economies:
- New and innovative housing finance programs are designed through Habitat’s partnerships with microfinance institutions.
- Effective and suitable for very low-income families.
- Applied where appropriate.
- Example: “Save and Build.” Group savings are matched by Habitat funds to build houses for group members.
- Example: “Building in Stages.” Houses are built progressively with small loans that must be paid before the next stage of the house is built.
Read about Habitat’s partnerships with microfinance institutions.