About Habitat's Terwilliger Center
Building more equitable housing markets through innovation
Despite burgeoning demand for affordable housing, low-income families around the world are largely underserved by housing markets. Shut out by the income requirements of the mortgage sector and unable to afford high-quality building materials and services, they build their homes incrementally, often with poor advice and substandard materials. While philanthropic efforts may help alleviate the pressing housing needs of some, McKinsey estimates that it will require an estimated US$16 trillion to close the affordable housing deficit, 80 percent of which must come from the private sector.
There is tremendous untapped potential – within both the demand and supply sides of housing markets – that if addressed could substantially improve housing availability and quality for low-income households. Through the Terwilliger Center for Innovation in Shelter, Habitat for Humanity works in some of the most pivotal yet uncharted intervention points in housing markets piloting new approaches and making a business case where none exists.
Through 250+ partnerships – with financial institutions, material manufacturers, retailers, academic and vocational institutes, design firms, media companies and civil society organizations – the Terwilliger Center is working to build more inclusive housing markets that better address the needs of low-income families.
Our program areas:
- Housing Finance Systems.
- Housing Technology and Entrepreneurship.
- Construction Decisions and Practices.
Formally launched at UN-Habitat’s historic Habitat III conference in October 2016, the Terwilliger Center consolidates more than a decade of Habitat’s experience in housing innovation, finance and market systems development. Through the Terwilliger Center, Habitat for Humanity has:
- Helped over 27.8 million people access improved housing through market systems approaches.
- Unlocked US$7.9 billion in affordable housing finance.
- Worked with more than 100 financial institutions, including partners in microfinance, insurance, mortgage refinancing and housing finance associations.
- Catalyzed US$64 million in new business for firms serving the low-income segment.
- Partnered with more than 250 local and multinational companies to test and scale new products and services.
- Supported over 58,000 masons and artisans in improving their skills and gaining certifications by helping technical and vocational institutions make market-informed updates to their curricula and programs.
Our leadership team
Senior Vice President – Integrated Programs
Interim Co-Vice President
Senior Global Director – Market Systems and Entrepreneurship
Interim Co-Vice President
Senior Global Director – Housing Finance Systems
Director – Housing Finance Program Design
Global Lead – MicroBuild
Country Director – Philippines
Director – Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Global Lead – ShelterTech
Country Director – Mexico
Country Director – India
Director – Applied Innovation
Regional Director – Africa
Director – Shelter Venture Fund
Country Director – Peru
Our advisory board
J. Ronald Terwilliger – Chair
Ariel Cano Cuevas
Interested in working with us?
Open positions: consult Habitat for Humanity’s careers page.
Consultants: Send your CV to [email protected].