About Veterans Build
What is Veterans Build?
Habitat for Humanity’s Veterans Build is a national initiative aimed at providing volunteer, housing and employment opportunities to U.S. veterans, military service members and their families.
- Sixty-eight percent of our local affiliates actively engage military/veterans in their programs.
- Of those, 98 percent of military/veterans are volunteers.
- Forty-six percent of affiliates engage military/veterans as partner families.
- We completed over 500 projects in partnership with veterans as partner families, including new construction, rehabs, renovations and home preservation projects.
- We are currently partnering or reaching out to more than 100 veteran-focused organizations to provide a holistic approach to meeting veterans’ needs.
- We are the first lender in New York state given the opportunity to use HUD-VASH vouchers for homeownership.
The five areas we focus on
- Affordable housing and home preservation
Affordable housing is the centerpiece of our Veterans Initiative; however, our affiliates have expanded programs to maintain and preserve homes.
Projects from exterior painting to roofing to weatherization make existing houses more energy efficient and affordable. In partnership with The Home Depot Foundation, Habitat developed the Repair Corps program to offer critical home repairs to veteran homeowners.
- Volunteer mobilization
We aim to provide volunteer experiences that can bring together veterans and military families with their neighbors, bridging the gap and easing the transition to civilian life.
We capitalize on skill sets gained from military service with recruitment targeting veterans as Habitat for Humanity International/local affiliate employees, board members and extended volunteers, national service members, interns and fellows.
We are training our affiliates to better understand the military culture and increase effectiveness in interacting with veterans and military families. We also offer financial education and literacy programs to support successful home ownership with veteran and military partner families.
Throughout the year, we host special events which pay tribute to veterans, raise awareness and mobilize volunteers.
Why is Habitat for Humanity focusing on veteran needs?
- Nearly 4 million veteran households pay more than 30 percent of income for housing.
- More than 1.5 million of these households pay more than 50 percent of income for housing (severe cost burden).
- Nearly 1 million veterans who own homes are severely cost burdened, despite having access to VA loans and other assistance.
- A substantial subset of veterans struggles economically. Approximately 1.4 million veterans (6.7 percent) live in poverty.
How can I get involved?
Volunteer, employment and housing opportunities can be found on our get involved page.