Construction Crew Leader - 2023-24
Construction Crew Leader
For one year, get paid to build sustainable solutions in a community, gain valuable hands-on experience and prepare for your future. This part-time AmeriCorps service position offers a great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others while building your own knowledge and skillset.
AmeriCorps National members serve the community in direct service and capacity building activities.
What will you do?
The construction crew leader plays an integral part in building and repairing homes. Lead groups of skills and unskilled volunteers and homeowner families in construction activities while maintaining a safe, efficient work environment, thus, developing and enhancing your volunteer management and construction skills.
- Typically serve Tuesday – Saturday on the build site.
- Assist with all aspects of hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping.
- Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation, critical home repair and weatherization projects.
- Lead small groups of volunteers and facilitate safe and positive experiences for everyone working on site.
- Maintain site safety by adhering to Habitat construction safety policies, modeling best practices and guidelines, volunteer education and site monitoring.
This position will focus on home construction, home repair and neighborhood revitalization aspects of Habitat affiliate operations.
Where will you serve?
- Organization name: Habitat for Humanity of Greater Cincinnati
- Full-time staff: 34
- Expected number of AmeriCorps members: 5
- Activities and attractions: Cincinnati, OH is a wonderful place to live and serve, with activities every weekend, amazing museums, multiple professional and minor league sports teams, and many beautiful parks. We are also within driving distance to some great hiking spots and outdoor activities. We also have a nationally recognized zoo with Fiona and Fritz and are close to Kings Island.
- Unique projects: We host Rock the Block twice a year in which AmeriCorps members are a huge part in the organization and execution of the project. The project consists of 20-25 projects between exterior home repairs and community projects. Typically, more than 300 volunteers come out to support the efforts of this event.
Benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Living allowance of $9,350 for approximately 10 ½ months of service.
- Segal Education Award of $3,447.50, upon successful completion of service.
- Forbearance for most federally-guaranteed student loans.
- Health care benefits and enrollment in Employee Assistance Plan.
- Personal and professional development opportunities.
- Worker’s compensation insurance.
- Grocery gift card - $200 per month
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
What are we looking for?
Our ideal candidates:
- Are passionate about serving the community through direct service.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity of opinion, experience, and background.
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in the affordable housing and nonprofit sector.
- Have experience working on a team.
- Possess stellar interpersonal communication skills.
- Are motivated and committed to serve full time and in person.