Donating a car, truck, boat or plane to Habitat for Humanity’s car donation program is a great way to support our work in your local community.
All net proceeds from the sale of your car donation provides strength, stability and self-reliance for families across the United States.
Why should I donate my vehicle?
- 100 percent of the net proceeds from the sale of your donated vehicle will be used by your local Habitat for Humanity to build and repair affordable homes.
- You may qualify for a tax deduction for donating a vehicle.
- It’s fast and easy.
- 30 percent of cars donated to Habitat are recycled for materials or sold for reusable parts.
- Recycling steel uses less energy and natural resources and produces less carbon pollution.
- Taking an inefficient older car off the road helps save gas and improves air quality.
Need help? Email us at email@example.com.
How do I donate a car?
You can donate your vehicle in three easy steps with the Habitat for Humanity International car donation program:
- Start your donation online by navigating to our donation wizard, or call our hotline at 1-877-277-4344.
- Our team will ask you to provide information such as vehicle make, model, vehicle identification number and current mileage.
- If your vehicle is accepted, you can schedule your car to be picked up.
What paperwork do I need to donate my car?
Paperwork requirements vary based on the state your car is registered in, so we recommend you check with your state tax board. Here there are some common practices:
- In most states, Certificate of Title is required in order to donate your car.
- To complete your car donation to Habitat for Humanity International, in most states, you need to transfer your title by entering the name of the agency that processes our car donations, "Advanced Remarketing Services" in the buyer/purchaser field. Then, print and sign your name in the seller/owner field exactly as it appears at the top of the title.
What happens after my vehicle is accepted?
You will be given instructions for processing the vehicle’s title. If the title cannot be located, assistance is available. Then your donated car is assigned for pickup and sale, and arrangements are made to have the title processed.
You will be contacted to coordinate the vehicle and key pickup by a licensed and insured member of the national network of contractors who work for Advanced Remarketing Services, Habitat for Humanity’s authorized agent. Donated vehicles are typically picked up within two or three days after the title is received by our processing center. You can speed up the donation process by providing information and downloading documents online. Special arrangements can also be made whenever car donations must be made more quickly.
What happens after my vehicle is picked up?
Your vehicle will be sold through a national network of diverse venues on behalf of Habitat. After the vehicle has been sold, you will receive an acknowledgement letter thanking you for your support and providing the vehicle sale information. This letter may be used as a receipt for tax deduction purposes; additional tax documents will be provided when required by IRS regulations as a result of the sale value of the vehicle.
What kinds of vehicles can be donated?
Acceptable vehicles include cars, trucks, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, snowmobiles, farm equipment, construction equipment, boats and airplanes.
What happens to junk vehicles that are donated?
They’re typically hauled to auto salvage yards where all reusable car parts, batteries, tires and fluids are removed. Cars that can be recycled are crushed, shredded and recycled into steel. Recycling cars keeps a huge amount of steel out of landfills – enough to build nearly 45,000 steel-framed homes every year. The energy saved each year is enough to power about 18 million households. Habitat is paid for these cars, although the revenue is less for a recycled car than a car that is purchased at an auction by a car.
What if the vehicle is not registered in my name?
The vehicle does not need to be registered in your name, and the name on the title may often differ from the name on the registration documents. Please call 877-277-4344 for more information.
How do I know my vehicle is in good hands once it’s been picked up?
Habitat uses a licensed and insured national transportation network and complies with all federal and state regulations. By signing the title directly to Advanced Remarketing Services, you are legally transferring ownership of your vehicle to Habitat for Humanity. When your title is received and your vehicle is picked up, you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.
How much of the money generated by the sale of my car donation goes to Habitat?
On a monthly basis, Advanced Remarketing Services returns more than 80 percent of the gross revenue generated from vehicle sales to Habitat for Humanity. This percentage is more than any other vehicle processing entity.
What are the tax benefits of donating my car to Habitat for Humanity?
You can read more here: Tax benefits of your car donation.
What if I have more questions?
We’d be happy to answer them. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who is Advanced Remarketing Services, Inc.?
They are Habitat’s authorized national agent that processes all of our vehicle donations. ARS handles title transfer, towing and reporting of all vehicle donations. Vehicle donations may be made online through CarDonationWizard.com and via their call center at 1-877-277-4344.