Construction Crew Leader - 2023-24
Construction Crew Leader
For one year, get paid to build sustainable solutions in a community, gain valuable hands-on experience and prepare for your future. This full-time AmeriCorps service position offers a great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others while building your own knowledge and skillset.
AmeriCorps National members serve the community in direct service and capacity building activities.
What will you do?
The construction crew leader plays an integral part in building and repairing homes. Lead groups of skills and unskilled volunteers and homeowner families in construction activities while maintaining a safe, efficient work environment, thus, developing and enhancing your volunteer management and construction skills.
- Typically serve Tuesday – Saturday on the build site.
- Assist with all aspects of hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping.
- Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation, critical home repair and weatherization projects.
- Lead small groups of volunteers and facilitate safe and positive experiences for everyone working on site.
- Maintain site safety by adhering to Habitat construction safety policies, modeling best practices and guidelines, volunteer education and site monitoring.
This position will focus on home construction aspects of Habitat affiliate operations.
Where will you serve?
- Organization name: Lancaster Lebanon HFH
- Nearest metropolitan area: Lancaster, PA
- Full-time staff: 8
- Expected number of AmeriCorps members: 4
- Activities and attractions: Be a part of providing the power, stability, and peace of home for your neighbors while living in a vibrant, exciting place yourself! Lancaster City, PA is culturally diverse with a robust immigrant and refugee population residing here thanks to a long and beautiful history of being a welcoming place. As a result of this celebration of diversity - the city is full of delicious ethnic food and cafes, art galleries, live entertainment, events, and shops! Our office is also conveniently located about two hours away from multiple major cities including Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York, and Washington D.C.
- Unique projects: Lancaster Lebanon Habitat for Humanity is in the middle of a building campaign aiming to complete 30 homes in the next 5 years. We are really excited to be ramping up our construction to work on both newly constructed homes and to rehabilitate blighted properties in our community. We strive to ensure that our properties are as energy efficient as possible while preserving the historic and architectural elements of the neighborhoods that we’re building in.
Benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Living allowance of $17,600 for approximately 10 ½ months of service.
- Segal Education Award of $6,895, upon successful completion of service.
- Forbearance for most federally-guaranteed student loans.
- Health care benefits and enrollment in Employee Assistance Plan.
- Personal and medical leave — approximately 10 days total.
- Personal and professional development opportunities.
- Child care benefits, if you qualify.
- Worker’s compensation insurance.
- Low-cost housing ($300 per month) OR housing stipend paid directly to your landlord (up to $600 per month)
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
What are we looking for?
Our ideal candidates:
- Are passionate about serving the community through direct service.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity of opinion, experience, and background.
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in the affordable housing and nonprofit sector.
- Have experience working on a team.
- Possess stellar interpersonal communication skills.
- Are motivated and committed to serve full time and in person.