Construction Crew Leader - 2023-24
Construction Crew Leader
For one year, get paid to build sustainable solutions in a community, gain valuable hands-on experience and prepare for your future. This full-time AmeriCorps service position offers a great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others while building your own knowledge and skillset.
AmeriCorps National members serve the community in direct service and capacity building activities.
What will you do?
The construction crew leader plays an integral part in building and repairing homes. Lead groups of skills and unskilled volunteers and homeowner families in construction activities while maintaining a safe, efficient work environment, thus, developing and enhancing your volunteer management and construction skills.
- Typically serve Tuesday – Saturday on the build site.
- Assist with all aspects of hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping.
- Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation, critical home repair and weatherization projects.
- Lead small groups of volunteers and facilitate safe and positive experiences for everyone working on site.
- Maintain site safety by adhering to Habitat construction safety policies, modeling best practices and guidelines, volunteer education and site monitoring.
This position will focus on home construction and volunteer services aspects of Habitat affiliate operations.
Where will you serve?
- Organization name: Habitat for Humanity Seattle-King County
- Nearest metropolitan area: Seattle, WA
- Full-time staff: 67
- Expected number of AmeriCorps members: 11
- Number of homes to be built: 40
- Number of homes to be repaired: 70
- Activities and attractions: In your off hours, hike the wilderness of Mt. Rainier, explore the rain forests and beaches of Olympic National Park, and enjoy a thriving Seattle music scene, among the many other outdoor and cultural adventures that await. Come serve, learn, and explore the beautiful Pacific Northwest!
- Unique projects: We are a fast-growing affiliate building safe, modern, affordable housing for hardworking individuals and families, and we’re looking for AmeriCorps members who are interested in being a part of our inclusive community. We are now building a mix of single-family, duplex, triplex, and even mid-rise housing, including a recently completed 5 story condo that includes our first ever elevator!
As an AmeriCorps member, you will be at the very heart of what we do, engaging our community, working alongside partnering families, and building and repairing the houses that will provide a permanent affordable place for people to call home. With nearly 50 homes scheduled to build, and 70+ to be repaired in the next 12 months, you will help continue to provide the most-needed service within our community: stability through housing. To do that, we interact with thousands of volunteers, homeowner families and community stakeholders each year.
Benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Living allowance of $17,600 for approximately 10 ½ months of service.
- Segal Education Award of $6,895, upon successful completion of service.
- Forbearance for most federally-guaranteed student loans.
- Health care benefits and enrollment in Employee Assistance Plan.
- Personal and medical leave — approximately 10 days total.
- Personal and professional development opportunities.
- Child care benefits, if you qualify.
- Worker’s compensation insurance.
- Housing stipend paid directly to your landlord - $750 per month
- Rain gear, tools, and work boots provided
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
What are we looking for?
Our ideal candidates:
- Are passionate about serving the community through direct service.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity of opinion, experience, and background.
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in the affordable housing and nonprofit sector.
- Have experience working on a team.
- Possess stellar interpersonal communication skills.
- Are motivated and committed to serve full time and in person.