Construction Crew Leader - 2023-24
Construction Crew Leader
For one year, get paid to build sustainable solutions in a community, gain valuable hands-on experience and prepare for your future. This full-time AmeriCorps service position offers a great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others while building your own knowledge and skillset.
AmeriCorps National members serve the community in direct service and capacity building activities.
What will you do?
The construction crew leader plays an integral part in building and repairing homes. Lead groups of skills and unskilled volunteers and homeowner families in construction activities while maintaining a safe, efficient work environment, thus, developing and enhancing your volunteer management and construction skills.
- Typically serve Tuesday – Saturday on the build site.
- Assist with all aspects of hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping.
- Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation, critical home repair and weatherization projects.
- Lead small groups of volunteers and facilitate safe and positive experiences for everyone working on site.
- Maintain site safety by adhering to Habitat construction safety policies, modeling best practices and guidelines, volunteer education and site monitoring.
This position will focus on home construction, home repair and neighborhood revitalization aspects of Habitat affiliate operations.
Where will you serve?
- Organization name: Richmond Metropolitan HFH
- Nearest metropolitan area: Richmond, VA
- Full-time staff: 25
- Expected number of AmeriCorps members: 6
- Number of homes to be built: 26
- Number of homes to be repaired: 22
- Activities and attractions: The city is located along the James River with many beautiful parks, offering locals and visitors the opportunity for many outdoor adventures. We are a city with many restaurants whose atmospheres as unique as their menus. RVA is also located about an hour and a half from the ocean (VA Beach), an hour and a half from the mountains, and an hour and a half from Washington DC!
- Unique projects: Richmond Habitat is a growing organization currently working on both new construction and rehab projects throughout our service area. Starting in Fall 2023, we will be starting our first denser housing solution in many years; these include townhomes and triplexes. We also have current members and several AmeriCorps alumni on staff.
Benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Living allowance of $17,600 for approximately 10 ½ months of service.
- Segal Education Award of $6,895, upon successful completion of service.
- Forbearance for most federally-guaranteed student loans.
- Health care benefits and enrollment in Employee Assistance Plan.
- Personal and medical leave — approximately 10 days total.
- Personal and professional development opportunities.
- Child care benefits, if you qualify.
- Worker’s compensation insurance.
- Housing stipend paid directly to your landlord - $300 per month
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
Pursuant to current Habitat for Humanity policy, this position requires full vaccination against COVID-19, except to the extent such requirement is prohibited by applicable law.
What are we looking for?
Our ideal candidates:
- Are passionate about serving the community through direct service.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity of opinion, experience, and background.
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in the affordable housing and nonprofit sector.
- Have experience working on a team.
- Possess stellar interpersonal communication skills.
- Are motivated and committed to serve full time and in person.